Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_dslr_mirrorlesss_winners.thumb.jpg.9deb4a8db27e7485a7bb99d98667c94e.jpg

Uranium235

Belt to Sword - Part 1 (of many!)

Well.... I dont believe it! First bit of clear sky in the Chrismas hols.... typical for it to come near the end of it. And to be honest, I think its all I'm going to see for the next week at least!

Anyways, the evening started off alright but by 11pm the sky started going downhill a fair bit, loads of high cloud and a rising Moon to illuminate it all. It picked up again after 1am and I carried on til 2.30, but I think at least 1/3 of the data will need to be replaced becuase its just too noisy. On top of that it will probably need another 2 hours per pane to get the noise down to an acceptable level... so as you can see - still a long way to go!  But once the Ha is done I will switch over to the DSLR and get some colour for it. Best part about this so far is that I havent needed to bend any fields, it was flat enough for the panes to click together without any effort.

Cant see this being finished until at least Feb/March (thats assuming we get some clear sky!). To be honest, its been a pretty poor Winter for AP - the worst I can remember so far.

3 hrs per pane (x3)

Star 71, NEQ6, Atik383L+

24031815541_eb1554b46b_b.jpg

I've throttled the data slightly (and it shows!), havent really bothered with an M42 core either - but that will follow in due course.

• Like 27

That's neat! You've done an amazing job on wavelets (Don't tell me that's how it came out the camera, if it is then tell me your secrets!).

Nice shot

Thanks Tom - awesome work on your mosaic BTW, thats something to aspire to!

That's neat! You've done an amazing job on wavelets (Don't tell me that's how it came out the camera, if it is then tell me your secrets!).

Thanks :)  Nothing too special going on with the processing, apart from every curve being followed with a layer mask from the previous copy to preserve M42. It didnt stand up to much high pass, so I've only applied it sparingly to the HH and M42. I also used a layer mask to help reduce a slight gradient in one of the panes (centre top), which is the weakest pane of the three. The complete version will probably take quite a lot longer to process than the hour I spent on this one as there are a few factors to take into account (star reduction, masks etc).

• Like 1

Liking this Rob - I look forward to seeing more..... it really draws you in :)

Thanks Sara! I've compared it to last years effort with the 130, and on the whole its looking much better for the same amount of total exposure. The 130pds was six panes, compared to just three on this.

I'd love to add more, but we've just had 48 hours of non-stop rain here (and another 48hrs worth starting tomorrow) - so Im going to just have to snatch what I can, when I can.... Thursday looks like my best bet so far.

Fantastic composition. Good luck with the rest of the data gathering, more clear nights please!

Tremendous. What a glory this part of the sky is. You've done tit proud.

Olly

Looks fantastic Rob, work of the highest order!

Definitely agree on the weather, this is as bad as I can remember. I think I've managed to get out once since August :/

Will

Fantastic composition. Good luck with the rest of the data gathering, more clear nights please!

Tremendous. What a glory this part of the sky is. You've done tit proud.

Olly

Thanks Olly & Martin, once Ive got enough data I will present it in a format which is a little less resampled (and post a link to a fullsize version) - I had to resize down to 60% to hide the noise :)

This is going to be a cracker when finished, I feel your pain with the weather, I've not finished an image since September!

Thanks John :)  Its now looking like Thursday is nailed-on clear sky until midnight - so I can probably add another 4 hours, that should replace the cloud damaged stuff. After that its another six to finish the Ha layer. I think its going to take about another 4 or 5 clear nights to finish it off (in colour). Im going to try what I did a couple of years ago and do a CCD supported DSLR project - ie: M42, Running man, HH and flame will be DSLR, and everything outside it will be CCD (might take a while to process!).

That is just mind blowing!!!! Freakin amazing shot. 

Thanks, but this is just the start, I want to get it to the stage where I can present it at pixel scale ;)  perhaps even get it printed on canvas, which Ive done before (but not for myself). We'll see what tomorrow night brings, no Moon to wreck things so it should be interesting.