Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

What is up with Astrofest this year?

michaelmorris

I'm was planning to go to Astrofest in 5 weeks, but I can't find out who's giving what talk, when and who the exhibitors are.  They only have a list of speakers, but no subjects or details of when they are speaking

http://europeanastrofest.com/

It seems strange to me that they are trying to sell tickets, yet they don't seem to be providing details of what they are selling - bizarre.

It doesn't look good if you can't tell customers what's on when with just 5 weeks to go.  I may even give it miss this year if it's this poorly organised.

Does anyone know what on Earth is going on with this event?

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I remember the promotional material being a bit lacking in content last year too. That said, with 5 weeks to go they are really pushing things to the limit. Based on the material I can find, I wouldn't be booking tickets as you just don't know what you'd be agreeing to.

I know that Kieran from SCS Astro was reporting that a lot of Astro vendors seem to have been struggling his year. I guess trade shows are discretionary expenditure that can be cut easily if the rewards aren't there, so maybe AstroFest are struggling to find a critical mass of exhibitors and the event is in jeopardy? Of course, I might be putting 2 and 2 together and making 5 here....

Paul

Looked the other day and no information on who is giving a talk and no idea on the talk subjects either.

I would have thought that Astrofest made any/most income from the talk side more then the retailer side - lots of people on lots of seats.

Maybe a couple less retailers might help, simply more space to walk around and look.

If I go this year my idea is the Saturday AM talks only, have lunch then wander back to look at the goodies.

I have in the past usually missed the first Sat PM talk and the final Sat PM (event) talk is often less serious and more humorus, so only 2 out of the 4 are (to me) relevant.

Have to wait and see.

Previous years they have said what talks are booked bit by bit then added details in as confirmed, could be that the approach has changed and they are waiting to have all talks detailed before posting on the webpage.

I'm not booking tickets for the talks since they're not locked down as they should be by now. I'll just turn up and pay my £8 at the door and have a mooch around the stands. I don't know if I'll buy anything though.

Reminder to self: Take cash for lunch, they don't take cards.

I heard from someone who should know that retailers were getting fed up with humping expensive gear miles from their vans up lifts after the convenience of the SW Astro event where they could park at their stand and unload.

The Astrofest venue seems to be chosen for the lecture suites, not sure how long it will survive, haven't been for a few years and don't plan to start now.

Dave

I recently looked at the website to book but I've backed away from the event - if the speakers, the subject matter and the exhibitors haven't been finalised by now then it doesn't bode well for the event.

Hopefully it will proceed successfully but I won't be attending.

I'm not booking tickets for the talks since they're not locked down as they should be by now. I'll just turn up and pay my £8 at the door and have a mooch around the stands. I don't know if I'll buy anything though.

Reminder to self: Take cash for lunch, they don't take cards.

Is there a simple entrance fee?

Just ask as I didn't see one mentioned and they seem to have subtly altered the "wording" for what is in effect a ticket. It is now a "Confernce Pass".

I heard from someone who should know that retailers were getting fed up with humping expensive gear miles from their vans up lifts after the convenience of the SW Astro event where they could park at their stand and unload.

The Astrofest venue seems to be chosen for the lecture suites, not sure how long it will survive, haven't been for a few years and don't plan to start now.

Seems odd as I thought the retailers had access to the underground car park of the town hall, so they park on the actual premesis. So not miles to haul their gear.

Also the SW Astro Fair is nice but there are very few retailers there, one small tent for them all and usually the IoP group and a raffle all in the same tent, the stock levels on display are very low. Been a few times and it is not an event of any size.

It is nice and a pleasant day out, but I would not in reality go there looking for equipment to any extent.

Seems odd as I thought the retailers had access to the underground car park of the town hall, so they park on the actual premesis. So not miles to haul their gear.

Also the  SW Astro Fair is nice but there are very few retailers there, one small tent for them all and usually the IoP group and a raffle all in the same tent, the stock levels on display are very low. Been a few times and it is not an event of any size.

Sorry meant IAS.

Dave

Is there a simple entrance fee?

Just ask as I didn't see one mentioned and they seem to have subtly altered the "wording" for what is in effect a ticket. It is now a "Confernce Pass".

Yes, £8 on the door. I saw it in AN and it's on their astrofest website under "Conference"

BTW I checked TfL and there doesn't look to be any engineering work likely to disrupt travel.

Ah I'll take a look. My wife was going to surprise me & book as we'll be nearish (well within 100 miles.. Near for us [emoji1]) around then but was totally confused by the state of the website & gave up so had to spoil the surprise

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Does anyone know when the IAS is being held in 2016?  I missed the last one as I was on holiday or I would have asked while I was there - and I couldn't see anything about the 2016 show when  I googled it.

I could possibly go to Astrofest as I'm visiting not too far away.  However, if I can get to the IAS I'd rather attend that.  Never mind being more convenient for vendors it's an awful lot better for delegates too in my view.  Drive and park nearly on the door-step, no costly parking or hotel rooms, no expensive train journey, the lighting is natural rather than artificial lighting, lot's of room to wander round and view the exhibits, good grub, not so crowded, all on one levei and if you buy anything (I won't :grin: ) it's easy to load your purchases into the car - what's not to like?

Archived