Narrowband

100hr Galactic Centre Mosaic

Tom OD

Happy New Year Everyone.

So finally after 9 months processing, which included a full redo of the RGB blend, I have finished the 2nd Mega Mosaic to complement the 400hr Orion Mosaic myself and Olly made.

This mosaic began in 2012 where I collected 30 panes of Luminance. In 2013 I completed 2 rows of RGB. Later in 2015 while taking imaging trips at Ollys in Les Granges, I finished the RGB panels, and I took Ha data to blend into the central rift area. I also took an extra LRGB column on the left hand side of the image.

Like the Orion mosaic, this had data at 0.53m with added 1m resolution data for the Eagle, Swan, Lagoon and Trifid nebulae. Again this is the highest resolution image of this area of the sky as far as I am aware of.

Thanks Tom.

Flickr image can be seen here.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/28192200@N02/24086292076/in/dateposted-public/

post-4679-0-39250900-1451686267_thumb.jp

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cheers for the comments. This was a nightmare to process. It still needs a little work before I print it out big and frame it, but I did decide to redo the full RGB blend as I was not happy with the initial attempt, mainly because I processed the pic as I captured the frames, so the first two rows were started and then I built upon them in a stacking method. For the redo I started from the centre and worked out in a spiral manner. This worked better.

Mega Mosaic 3 will begin this Summer. In a weird way I cant wait, but its time to put my feet up for a little bit, I ve been working non stop on the laptop on this one.

Tom.

I've seen this one in the making, of course, and had the odd preview. Every time I look at it it blows my socks off. The sumptuous golden colours west of the Trifid are, I think, the most beautiful I've ever seen in an astrophoto. They contrast superbly with the paler, sandier colours of the rest of the galactic centre's dust. Making the colour hang together like this as if the image were a single pane capture is something that is so difficult to do that very few ever succeed.

This is may favourite ever astrophoto. Simple as that.

Olly

Simply stunning Tom.

I had the pleasure of going to see your talk on the 'insane' orion ptoject for the IAA in Belfast last year and i was gripped throughout.

Keep up the good work!

Thanks again everyone for your comments. I love those sandy brown regions too. There is no background sky there. It's chock ablock with stars.

Xiga I was working on this in tandem as my summer project but it was not as far along as the Orion one. I might get another chance to go back to Belfast where you can see both in the large format.

Thanks again everyone for your comments. I love those sandy brown regions too. There is no background sky there. It's chock ablock with stars.

Xiga I was working on this in tandem as my summer project but it was not as far along as the Orion one. I might get another chance to go back to Belfast where you can see both in the large format.

That would be awesome Tom, i'd love the chance to get to see them both up close and personal.

Ciarán. 

Archived