Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_30_second_exp_2_winners.thumb.jpg.b5430b40547c40d344fd4493776ab99f.jpg

Tom OD

100hr Galactic Centre Mosaic

Absolutely stunning image. All your dedication and hard work has been amply rewarded.

Cheers for the comments. This was a nightmare to process. It still needs a little work before I print it out big and frame it, but I did decide to redo the full RGB blend as I was not happy with the initial attempt, mainly because I processed the pic as I captured the frames, so the first two rows were started and then I built upon them in a stacking method. For the redo I started from the centre and worked out in a spiral manner. This worked better.

Mega Mosaic 3 will begin this Summer. In a weird way I cant wait, but its time to put my feet up for a little bit, I ve been working non stop on the laptop on this one.

Tom.

I've seen this one in the making, of course, and had the odd preview. Every time I look at it it blows my socks off. The sumptuous golden colours west of the Trifid are, I think, the most beautiful I've ever seen in an astrophoto. They contrast superbly with the paler, sandier colours of the rest of the galactic centre's dust. Making the colour hang together like this as if the image were a single pane capture is something that is so difficult to do that very few ever succeed.

This is may favourite ever astrophoto. Simple as that.

Olly

Simply stunning Tom.

I had the pleasure of going to see your talk on the 'insane' orion ptoject for the IAA in Belfast last year and i was gripped throughout.

Keep up the good work!

That is a fantastic image, huge amount of work but certainly worth the effort when the outcome is as good as this is.

Pete.

What a great picture this is! As Olly said, the amber color west to M20 and M8 is a very rare feature in those pictures! Love M22 as well, what a glorious lump of stars. My favourite globular in all the sky!

Thanks again everyone for your comments. I love those sandy brown regions too. There is no background sky there. It's chock ablock with stars.

Xiga I was working on this in tandem as my summer project but it was not as far along as the Orion one. I might get another chance to go back to Belfast where you can see both in the large format.

• Like 1

Thanks again everyone for your comments. I love those sandy brown regions too. There is no background sky there. It's chock ablock with stars.

Xiga I was working on this in tandem as my summer project but it was not as far along as the Orion one. I might get another chance to go back to Belfast where you can see both in the large format.

That would be awesome Tom, i'd love the chance to get to see them both up close and personal.

Ciarán. 

Awesome image Tom and dedication 3 years in the making.

Superb Tom - A top class image from a top class imager :) That really does look to be the business, there's nothing to not love, I could star at it for hours .

That is so good superlatives seem inadequate.

Wow. What an image. Even when you zoom in and take a closer look, the detail is still there. Lovely work.

You have surely reached a pinacle with this image... fantastic piece of work and can see the many hours of processing gone into it!

What struck me is all the dark lanes. Try to ignore the colour and focus on the black bits..looks awesome.

Now for 2016 its a mosaic of the entire Virgo cluster.  :grin:

Mark

Astoundingly gobsmacking... Just.. Wow Tom!

The effort that's gone into this stunning piece of work... I thought Orion was world class. Could it really get any better than this!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk