Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Astronomy in schools

Should Astronomy be a subject in schools  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Should Astronomy be a subject in schools

• yes but only in a basic form starting from the 3rd year if the student chooses
    • It should be in depth from the start of secondary school
    • No

I voted no.

The reason being IMO that it should be more enveloped into to the physics curriculum.

I'm also not sure that on it's own it is a helpful subject to be teaching children, I what are they really going to get from attaining a GCSE in astronomy?

Most of us on this forum do astronomy as a hobby and I personally think that it should be treat that way in the school. I can see astronomy as an after school activity and nothing more.

Once you get to the age of college, the choice then becomes yours and you perhaps have a more definite direction on the path you wish to follow.

But until kids reach 16 give them what they need....Physics, chemistry, biology etc.

You have some good points there, however there are a number of other subjects that are being tout like history religious education art music ( coming for a musician as well ) which could also be disregarded in the same light, What would about teaching the kids about plumbing ( every tried to get a plumber in a hurry ) Or Electronics.

When you look to see how much money profession astronomers makeyou might think again

Astronomy is the oldest of science's and should be included in teaching even just alittle or as part of science IMO

Thanks for your votes

Mark

I've gone with No as well. Money is short as it is for education, so shouldn't be looking to take on more subjects. Plus even though it's a science, it's not a science subject 99% of employers will ask for or even recognise.

I agree there's some other subjects which could be dropped as well. Just give the kids a solid grounding in the essentials. When they get to college, they can do all the choosing they want.

What about the US. Do they teach Astronomy from early on, or is it optional once they reach High School?

Russ

I have not voted yet as you all have made good point's, the thing that comes to mind though is promotion of Astronomy were will it come from if not from our school's? If Astronomy was part of everyday life in the Education sector then people may understand the need for Man/Women to reach for the stars and planets.

Also forget all the Money going on Education at the moment or what it would cost to teach Astronomy in school and think about all that Money wasted on Missles and other destruction materials.

It's a hard one to call this one with all the points given already :lol:

James :(

Then my answer would be Yes.

What would you rather be asked at school after being taught,

1.Please write in no less than 1000 words the basis of string theory

2.Please write in no less than 1000 words why shakespear is important to our culture

Anything to promote Astronomy has to be a good thing IMHO.

James :lol:

Then my answer would be Yes.

What would you rather be asked at school after being taught,

1.Please write in no less than 1000 words the basis of string theory

2.Please write in no less than 1000 words why shakespear is important to our culture

Anything to promote Astronomy has to be a good thing IMHO.

James :lol:

Ah. Well, if you put it like that I am afraid I'd have to plump for 2. above James. Sorry and all that and I do know a little about string theory - but I love Shakespeare.

Arthur

yeah i agree, it should be in some small way added to a science that is done now, it might get some of them interested to pursue at a later date,i for one had no such thing when i was at school, and when you consider the germination of seeds are part of the carricculum, makes you wonder why there isnt a little astro thrown in, :lol:

Well, your survey questions are too specific for me to answer. I don't think Astronomy should be a separate subject in school, but I think it should be a unit in any well founded science program, certainly in physics.

I can see I have not thought this out right, I fully agree there WH thats a great idear

Mark

Archived