Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Finally Pulled The Pin

Kenny Fowler

Hi all,

have finally pulled the pin and ordered a telescope and accessories.

8" Revelation Dobsonian - Best bang per buck.

Telrad Finder, Premium Cheshire Collimating Eyepiece and " Turn Left at Orion"- All from FLO

Baader 8-24mm Zoom inc Barlow - Too good an offer to miss (£185 ish from Amazon es (Spain) instead of £225+ anywhere else.)

I know I should have waited until I knew my needs better.

If the zoom is not for me I will always get my money back at that price, its the equivalent of getting the barlow free.

Now I just have to wait for my new toys, find out that I have to spend money on lots of other shiny things :) and pray for clear skys in the weeks ahead.

Have I missed anything out?

Cheers

Kenny

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi all,

Telrad Finder, Premium Cheshire Collimating Eyepiece and " Turn Left at Orion"- All from FLO

Baader 8-24mm Zoom inc Barlow - Too good an offer to miss (£185 ish from Amazon es (Spain) instead of £225+ anywhere else.)

If the zoom is not for me I will always get my money back at that price, its the equivalent of getting the barlow free.

Now I just have to wait for my new toys, find out that I have to spend money on lots of other shiny things :) and pray for clear skys in the weeks ahead.

Cheers

Kenny

Patience  :laugh:

It will probably be at least a week before the scope arrives, what with the New Year etc.

I expect the earliest I will achieve First Light will be the weekend starting 9th Jan.( expecting rain and cloud)

I feel like a little kid waiting for Santa to arrive :grin:

Great scope you've chosen there Kenny, it will keep you busy and enthralled for years.

Just a thought, have you downloaded Stellarium a great free planetarium program, just configure it for your location and it will give you a real time map of your sky.

Get it here:- http://www.stellarium.org/

Good luck with the new scope, any problems/questions you know where to come.

Great - gives you plenty of time to set it up in the front room and sit admiring it for a few days while the missus goes stir crazy. Then she'll be glad when the skies clear and you get outside and you won't get any flack being out all night lol :)

Yup, flack coming my way big style. Fortunately already put scope in shed so it could have been much worse.

As for the Revelation scope, it came with a 30mm superview instead of the 26mm advertised. Thats a win in my book. Not that I have been able to use it yet.

Congrats! Nice choice, 8 inches of aperture is pretty powerful and the outlay for an 8 inch dob can fit in a starter budget.

A zoom can be a handy thing even if you have a case of very expensive fixed focal length eyepieces. I sort of wish I'd kept mine!

Have fun!

I managed to fit in an hour last night before cloud cover ruined things.

I now realise that my dob comes with a 35mm extension tube :blush:

No wonder I could not focus to start with.

I still need to set up the finderscope and Telrad, so first light was all about seeing if everything worked. Which it eventually did.

Will carry out the set up during the day tomorrow, and align everything up.

This evening I did my first collimation, it was not out by much and all that was required was a tweak of the primary mirror.

So all in all I am happy with the scope, and am itching to look at something I want to see instead of random bits of sky.

Hopefully clear skys up here in the soon to be frozen North.

Thank you all for your comments of encouragement, they have been very welcome.

Cheers

Kenny

Have the same scope but from Telescope House and really pleased with it. Bought it just over a year ago and can't see me needing to upgrade anytime soon.

One thing to watch, the metal bracket that stores the EPs on the side of the base is only attached with two silly little screws, don't put any weight or pressure on them or you end up ripping them out.....like I did. I drilled all the way through and fitted a couple of nuts and bolts to rectify.

A Telrad is also a 100% improvement on the finderscope.

Clear skies.

Mark

Hi Mark ( C7tsj)

Thanks for the info on the bracket.

Just looked at the initial info I gave and it does look as if I purchased the dob from FLO,

It was actually bought from Telescope House as well. The only difference from the advertised spec is that it came with a 30mm 2" eyepiece.

Kenny

Hi all,

Cheers

Kenny

HI Kenny,

Sounds like you've been busy spending. I hope all this cloud disappears soon so you can enjoy your new toys.

D.C

Archived