Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Turn Left at Orion

Hi all,

This is more for the other newbies like myself.

I've seen this book mentioned over and over again on this forum called Turn Left at Orion, it's been praised as a great starting point for learning the night sky and how to find objects of interest.

Having read members praising this book i decided to purchase it and see what all the fuss is about.

I have had this book since yesterday and I CANNOT RECOMMEND IT ENOUGH! If you have just started with Astronomy as a hobby buy this book, you will not be disappointed.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Turn-Left-Orion-Hundreds-Telescope/dp/0521153972

Stu

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not all go for it. My copy I opened twice and it is sat gathering dust. :eek: :eek: :eek:

Something about it never quite clicked with me, just one of those things.  :rolleyes:  :rolleyes:  :rolleyes: 

That is why I tend to suggest anyone searches out a book they get along with.

For those who grew up on Sir Patrick Moore and the younger generation who didn't, his Observer's Year has been brought up to date by Mike Inglis in an edition to cover 2015-2020. It's an enjoyable read..... even if you live in the southern hemisphere! Here's the publisher's site, with some tasters you can download:

http://www.springer.com/gp/book/9783319186771

I've heard good things about Turn Left at Orion but have not picked it up myself. However, when I started getting interested in astronomy I bought the book Nightwatch by Terence Dickinson. I really love that book as it was my first introduction to astronomy as an actual hobby. I agree with what some others have said-- what works for you and what is able to speak to you is what matters  :smiley:

I started with the Encyclopedia Britannica and the section on planets when I was 4. My mom discovered me reading this and promptly took me to the town library. I don't have a clear memory of all the books on astronomy I read. But I can safely say I cleaned out the library astronomy-section.

Never read a copy of "Turn Left...." but I have kept an eye open. If a copy cross my path, at a reasonable price, I'll surely oblige it with a reading.

Dave

I use my TLAO as my main reference book but have to be honest I'm not a hundred percent happy with it. I find I'm using it alongside the S&T Pocket Atlas to fill in the gaps and often have to draw in constellation lines or other reference points to get some of the diagrams in context. Maybe it's just me!

(I don't think all the Messiers are there either, but that's not such a big deal)

I think I may have a look at some of the other books recommended in previous posts.

I have discovered this at Project Gutenberg: 'A Field Book of the Stars by William Tyler Olcott', I believe it was first published in the early 20th century. It can be downloaded for free.

http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/20769

It can be read online or downloaded to Kindle. Alternatively the ePub version can be downloaded to Android devices and read natively on them. On Linux PBReader may have to be added from the respective repository. ePub books can be read on Windows using the excellent and very light freeware Sumatra PDF reader (I replaced Adobe Reader with Sumatra on Windows a long time ago).

http://www.sumatrapdfreader.org/free-pdf-reader.html

When you've used TLAO for a few months and got through a lot of the objects - a good book to extend your knowledge of the sky is "The Illustrated Guide to Astronomical Wonders" by Thompson and Thompson. It's more of the same stuff and written in a similar easy going style with diagrams and finding instructions - but with hundreds more objects. :)

For those who grew up on Sir Patrick Moore and the younger generation who didn't, his Observer's Year has been brought up to date by Mike Inglis in an edition to cover 2015-2020. It's an enjoyable read..... even if you live in the southern hemisphere! Here's the publisher's site, with some tasters you can download:

http://www.springer.com/gp/book/9783319186771

I like TLAO and still refer to it.

I do not like the Springer books. Overpriced and often poorly edited.

The Observers book is still a good one as is the little Gems book as a pocket guide.

TLAO is a great starter book for sure.  Some have said it's not for everyone - that's fine, if you don't get on it with that's your choise.  However, for those starting out it is definitely one of the books on the top of the list to get access too.  There are alternatives which people enjoy, and hey, just because someone picks TLAO does not mean they should only use that one book and nothing else. It's just one reference, it's a good tutorial for beginners and a useful reference for the rest of us.

There are plenty of books some you'll get on with others you won't.  I simply say, try as many as you can get your hands on and decide what you like and dislike from there.  A given book might not be for you, but it might be perfect for someone else.

Mr Crabtree was my inspiration for a plethora of angling sagas. But back on topic. I was given a subscription to the Sky at Night magazine, but as part of the package it also came with these 2 books. Collins 2016 Guide to the Night Sky and the Philips's Complete guide to Stargazing. Not looked at them properly, but for the absolute beginner they seem useful resource books.

When you've used TLAO for a few months and got through a lot of the objects - a good book to extend your knowledge of the sky is "The Illustrated Guide to Astronomical Wonders" by Thompson and Thompson. It's more of the same stuff and written in a similar easy going style with diagrams and finding instructions - but with hundreds more objects. :)

I would also give +1 to the Illustrated Guide to Astronomical wonders, as mentioned a very good continuation of the ever popular TLAO. If you want details of how to find many more objects in the Constellations to observe, then this is the book for you.

If you want to expand your Astronomical knowledge, I would recommend, Sir Patrick Moore`s "Data Book of Astronomy", probably his last major work in bringing up to date his original book "Guinness book of Astronomy Facts and Feats" , circa 1979. The new book takes into account current advances in Astronomy, a lot of the old work being rewritten and brought up to date, extends to some 588 pages, packed with data but an excellent read as well :)

My copy arrived in the post a few days ago, been slowly picking my way through it, i think it will be a very helpful book, waiting for clear skies again, so i can go out and get some more practice in with my scope.

Archived