Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Vixen GPDX upgrade confusion

Ajohn

I keep looking for a lighter mount than an old meade I use for heavier things but have a Vixen GPDX with Skysensor 2k on it, It hasn't seen much use because of the noise when it's tracking. Very loud on quiet nights easily heard yards and yards away - or should I say metres. That wouldn't make much difference. I might even say 10's of either. I'm not so concerned about slewing.

I've noticed that these can be fitted with Skywatcher upgrade kits but which one? They offer the pro and none pro and just to confuse things sell a pro eq3 which I would assume uses the EQ5 pro upgrade parts. There is only around £30 difference in price between all of the upgrades from a quick look.

I have wondered if the Vixen drive is so noisy because of the way that they drive the steppers but then have to ask if any of the Skywatchers are quiet. Same sort of gearing so no real reason other than drive why they should be.

The other aspect is that the mount already has two perfectly adequate stepper motors. I can use a soldering iron so wonder if there are any other alternative that would involve using them - especially if it keeps the price down.

Any ideas would be appreciated plus answers to the query concerning the upgrades. These mounts have traditionally carried a lot more weight than they were intended for so retaining motors is some what attractive but EQ5's ones may be similar or maybe the same motors are fitted on both EQ5's and EQ3's. I think the EQ6 upgrade is the same price as well.

John

-

The Skywatcher EQ5 is a clone of the original Vixen GP mount. The Synscan EQ5 upgrade is the one to go for but I believe that you need to modify one of motor housings slightlyy for it to fit. The Skywatcher mounts also make a noise when slewing, this is inevitable, but are almost silent when tracking.

http://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/info/p415_Skywatcher-SynScan-GoTo-upgrade-kit-for-GP---EQ-mounts.html

The GPDX is a really well engineered mount and very under-rated - perhaps because it's been around a long time.  I would look at any solution except for replacing it unless you need something with a greater capacity.  I'm not suggesting you over tax it, but both the GPDX and the GP are the only mounts I have regularly used which will take quite a bit more load than Vixen say they will.  Unlike some manufacturers who rather over-estimate the capacity of their mounts.

Archived