SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

3d-Print Model Help Please

happy-kat

I would be grateful if someone who knows about 3d printing could take a look at my model please?

It is for my Celestron C70 project thread.

I don't want to get it printed if the model is bad and I don't know enough to know if my model would be an expensive print mistake as I don't have any friends who know anything about this to help me.

I have put links to skp and the stl files here, the model is in mm and has a 96mm circumference.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BzE0JrSB84yceWxpcW9NSkM5Yzg

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BzE0JrSB84yccmk0ZWxMdnVxTXc

Using a SketchUp extension for checking models it comes out all fine but if I zoom through the base and the turret I can see the insides I am not sure if this means that it would print hollow?

Any help gratefully appreciated.

Looks fine to me :)  It does have a couple of redundant bits but they shouldn't spoil the print.  The circle on the base and another inside the tube are not needed as shown in the amended model in the screenshot below.  HTH :)

Hint - you can look inside your model by temporarily erasing one or more of the outer surfaces (don't forget to unerase it though).  Also, using the default colours makes it easier to see if any external faces are reversed.

post-13131-0-74335200-1451477218_thumb.j

Thank you for the default colour tip as that makes sense of why I had reversed faces but could not see then though the extension fixed them.

I'll have to leave those lines in if I remove them it erases the top surface of the base. Bit more fiddling and have removed them and kept the base. Can still zoom and see inside the model which makes me apprehensive it isn't really solid.

Now I will look for a UK 3d print service to make it a reality.

• 2 weeks later...

My model reports no errors and is solid in SketchUP and looks like this from the top.

post-28282-0-51904300-1452284217_thumb.j

But on the inside it looks like this.

post-28282-0-87876400-1452284238_thumb.j

I don't want a hollow model, is this normal please to look like this inside?

If I zoom into the middle and remove the pieces then on zooming back out again my fillets have been removed.

Archived