Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

storage question ?

Hi all, after having a play tonight with the telescope (200p Dob) i was wondering how other people go about packing theirs away for storage.

For now am looking at keeping mine in the kitchen to one side, having brought the telescope in tonight i noticed that the lenses steamed up straight away.

At this minute i have left the caps off to allow everything to come back to room temperature before placing the caps on. Is this the correct way ? Also is it ok to be stored vertical on it's base for long periods of time with the eye piece end towards the top ?

I like to look after my equipment the best I can too extend it's usage life, so thought i'd ask for info from the more experienced.

Would not advise storing in the kitchen for the reasons already mentioned. When letting the scope dry off I always leave it at an angle so that any water will not run down towards the mirror. Otherwise it is fine to leave it in the position you mention.

I've had mine for a while now and I keep it upright (as you do) in the garage, with a shower cap over each end to keep dust and spiders out. I also throw a dust sheet over it for good measure. Keeping it in the garage stops the condensation problem and also keeps the cooling down period shorter.

I have kept mine in the kitchen since new, and its spotless.

It does require some protection though. Mine has shower caps, a white cotton sheet draped over the  whole system and then  further covered by an extended heavy duty clear plastic bag ( cut and taped to fit ).

Since December 2015 it now resides in a larder cupboard, purchased from B&Q, but is still covered, and there is ample room in the top section for  three shelves to store books, eyepieces ect.

Now that the Skyliner is "hidden" the Mrs no longer 'sees' it?

Note: I had to cut a small  notch in the bottom rear panel to accommodate the base plate ( did not check the internal dimensions properly before purchase?) and I think I might still be able to squeeze a 300P in there!. Not at the same time though, a replacement, should the opportunity arise?

200P Home

Archived