SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Friction stop or lock for Dobsonian?

Ccolvin968

Long story short, my dob likes to rotate ever so slightly on the yaw axis because my yard isn't flat.... Anywhere! Is there a product or any way to make some kind of friction stopper? It barely moves, but obviously, in astronomy, that's a problem. I appreciate any help!

I think that the best solution is to make a ground board with adjustable feet to provide a level surface for the Dob.

Any sort of excessive friction will be annoying very soon as you will not be able to easily nudge the 'scope to follow the subject. I suspect that a lock will also become annoying as instead of just gently nudging the 'scope to follow the stars you will have to: unlock;nudge;lock every few seconds or minutes and there is no guarantee that the locking mechanism itself will not introduce some movement as you unlock/lock.

Nigel

A spanner would be the quickest, cheapest,  easiest option, just tighten the centre bolt a tad, perhaps its just too loose?

I have an area  on my patio with the a slight  incline ( to drain away rain water) and no scope rotation at ANY time, unless forced by myself!

Even on steeper ground, there is never any  rotation, and my Skyliner rotates smoothly  when in use.

Steve, I live in the US, so it's not likely I'll order from there. Thanks though! Good to know what I'm looking for though.I'll try to tighten the center bolt first. I have a board that's perfect size for my scope laying around. Now that I'm thinking about it in a platform sense, it seems easier to overcome. Thanks everyone!

I think that the best solution is to make a ground board with adjustable feet to provide a level surface for the Dob.

Any sort of excessive friction will be annoying very soon as you will not be able to easily nudge the 'scope to follow the subject. I suspect that a lock will also become annoying as instead of just gently nudging the 'scope to follow the stars you will have to: unlock;nudge;lock every few seconds or minutes and there is no guarantee that the locking mechanism itself will not introduce some movement as you unlock/lock.

Nigel

+1 for this solution, I bought some adjustable pedestal feet (intended for fitted kitchen units) from my local DIY shop, reinforced the tube with a couple of jubilee clips each and it's very easy to level my Dob. It gives the advantage that the inclinonometer can be used to help find faint objects easily.

Archived