Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_30_second_exp_2_winners.thumb.jpg.b5430b40547c40d344fd4493776ab99f.jpg

Ro3bert

Problems with Telescope control using a computer

I got a Prolific 26886 USB To DB9 Male Serial Adapter, Blue (0.45 Meters/1.5 Feet) from C2G / Cables To Go (from Amazon).

Installed the software per the instructions (restarted the computer to finish the install) then opened Cartes du Ciel. Went to telescope in the menu and tried every telescope and all the interfaces shown. Even tried entering my telescope in the telescope type.

Went to the control panel but was unable to connect to the telescope.

Tried again with Stellarium with the same results, unable to slew the scope.

Anyone have any idea what may be wrong (I've even considered operator error but haven't a clue what that may be).

I even checked the devices and it says it is operating correctly and showed it as being on com3.sad.gif

Did you download "StellariumScope"? if not then that's the add on you need to get Stellarium controlling the scope Robert. :)

Did you download "StellariumScope"? if not then that's the add on you need to get Stellarium controlling the scope Robert. :)

I did and thanks for the suggestion.

I've read in in part but since I'm at my table top computer I can't do anything other than that but I'll be taking a closer look when I get to my laptop.

• Like 1

Stellarium has its own internal mount drivers, so doesn't require Stellariumscope.. Stellariumscope is used to communicate between Stellarium and a third party mount control programme such as EQMOD.

I got a Prolific 26886 USB To DB9 Male Serial Adapter, Blue (0.45 Meters/1.5 Feet) from C2G / Cables To Go (from Amazon).

Installed the software per the instructions (restarted the computer to finish the install) then opened Cartes du Ciel. Went to telescope in the menu and tried every telescope and all the interfaces shown. Even tried entering my telescope in the telescope type.

Went to the control panel but was unable to connect to the telescope.

Tried again with Stellarium with the same results, unable to slew the scope.

Anyone have any idea what may be wrong (I've even considered operator error but haven't a clue what that may be).

I even checked the devices and it says it is operating correctly and showed it as being on com3.sad.gif

CdC also requires the ASCOM platform and the necessary ASCOM mount drivers for mount control. http://ascom-standards.org/

CdC also requires the ASCOM platform and the necessary ASCOM mount drivers for mount control. http://ascom-standards.org/

Why can't everything be plug and play and compatible with Win 10. Just ranting, it seems nowadays you have to be a coder just to get programs to work sheesh.

Relax Robert, as stated above you need to install the ASCOM platform first and then use EQMOD to control the mount.  There are plenty of good video tutorials on EQMOD.  It all becomes more frustrating when the sky is clear and the gear doesn't work.  It is a case of perseverance that pays off in the end.  I use CDC & EQMOD for mount control and motorised focuser control.  The only issue I had was downloading the wrong driver for the focuser. 

Hang in there.

Clear Skies

Fondofchips.

Relax Robert, as stated above you need to install the ASCOM platform first and then use EQMOD to control the mount.  There are plenty of good video tutorials on EQMOD.  It all becomes more frustrating when the sky is clear and the gear doesn't work.  It is a case of perseverance that pays off in the end.  I use CDC & EQMOD for mount control and motorised focuser control.  The only issue I had was downloading the wrong driver for the focuser. 

Hang in there.

Clear Skies

Fondofchips.

EQMOD is for Skywatcher or Orion equatorial goto mounts. CdC does need the Ascom platform and the necessary Ascom mount drivers though to enable it to control a mount.

There are huge amounts of these USB to serial adapters out there that will not work with win 8.1 or win 10, this is due to a batch of counterfeit copies of the prolific chipset, the only way that prolific could stop them was to stop support in newer OS for certain versions of the adapter.

So if you want a guaranteed one that will work with win 10 then this is the one, it is recommended on the prolific website.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Plugable-Adapter-Prolific-PL2303HX-Chipset/dp/B00425S1H8/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1451347399&sr=8-9&keywords=plugable+usb

AB

Hang in there.

Clear Skies

Fondofchips.

Thanks. If worst comes to worst I can still rely on the goto handheld. Sometimes, now, I begin to think I should have gotten a refractor. Just kidding on a polar mount (is that correct?).