Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Baader Hyperion Eye Pieces 5/10/17/24mm

Two days and counting before I finally take the plunge after months of frustration and deliberation over the minified of what eye pieces I should go for. 

I have a Skywatcher Skyliner 300p  12" Dob F1500mm with go-to and Ive needed to be decisive as this could go on forever so i'm going for a set of Hyperion Eye Pieces 5/10/17/24mm..  I think.  :dontknow:  :dontknow: They seem to tick all the boxes and are in a nice case which satisfies my OCD tenancies, with room to expand. 

Any personal thoughts on eye pieces from you guys before I place my order.  Just to confuse matters.

As you have a fast Newtonian, you may wish to keep looking:

http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/71094-baader-hyperions-and-fast-scopes/

I'm sure some good ideas will come floating down the pips shortly. For my F/4 I use a mash of many different types. But if you're looking to go for a single brand of a full range, I've heard/read good things about ES EP's.

Anyone?

Dave

Personally I love my Hyperion (8, 10, 13, 17 and 24) and do about 90% of my observing with the 24. My biggest scope though is the 250p so can't say how they would compare on a 12". FLO have them reduced at the moment (I wonder if they are being phased out for the Morpheus range?) so price wise, seems like too good an opportunity to miss!

I like the Hyperions in slower scopes (F/8, F/10) but they do show lots of edge of field distortions in fast scopes such as F/5 newtonians.

As Dave says, the Explore Scientific 68 degree range would be a better choice in your 12" F/5. I've been using a Maxvision 24mm 68 degree on and off in my F/5.3 12" dob lately and that seems pretty good as well.

The Vixen SLV's, although not widefield eyepieces, are really excellent eyepieces and cost around the same as the Hyperions.

Another alternative would be to pick up some of the Tele Vue plossls which are designed and tested to work well at F/4.

I sympathise with your conundrum though, the choice is very wide these days.

Unfortunately, the one box the Hyperions don't tick is sharp across the field at F/5.

I too was thinking of the Hyperions but having a skywatcher 200 pds they were just not right for me with such a fast scope. After much research and head scratching I now own a full set of the Morpheus eyepieces thanks to my wife and the expert knowledge of Lee of Greenwich north.

I have tried them in my starwave frack at 5 am on Boxing Day when I had just a hour of clear sky's. I have not had chance to use them in the pds due to cloud cover but I'm assured they will work fine

Mark

I have a set of Hyperions and I love them but can only echo the fact that they are not optimised for fast (faster than f6) instruments although I happily use mine in a SW 250SPX and just accept the deficiency as I am usually only interested in the centre of the FOV anyway - Philistine that I am! I have also tested a set of the new Morpheus eyepieces and these are certainly better than my lovely Hyperions in a fast 'scope.

I wanted to purchase a 300P and the EPs of choice were the Tele Vue Delos range.

Its still some way off, as the Delos EPs are not cheap, and I dont have a 300P yet?

Im very happy with my 200P and still need to further test my 6mm Delos against the other 6mm EPs in my collection, but Im assured the benefits of the Delos EPs would suit the larger apertured, faster scope.

My Starguiders should work at f/5, but the Delos is tested to f/4, so should be more than capable on a 300P.

I have the entire range of Hyperions... 31mm (aspheric) to 5mm, and everything in between.  Of the entire range, the 24mm is by far the weakest link.  It's the only one that is not modular... not a bid deal, but worth mentioning.

Overall, they're decent eyepieces, albeit a bit "softer" than say the ES eyepieces at the same price point.

I also have the complete set of ES 82o eyepieces (4.7mm through 24mm).  In my opinion, the ES range is superior in faster scopes.  So superior that I've pretty much delegated the Hyperions to a secondary eyepiece case that I take to public outreach events.

Clear, Dark Skies

Hi All,

Firstly thanks for your advice, it's very much appreciated.    I have placed an order for three Baader Morpheous eye pieces 17.5mm, 12.5mm and 6.5mm.  Fingers crossed.

Good choice. I also like Hyperions (I still have one left) but there are better corrected eyepieces for f5 telescopes.

I have the entire range of Hyperions... 31mm (aspheric) to 5mm, and everything in between.  Of the entire range, the 24mm is by far the weakest link.  It's the only one that is not modular... not a bid deal, but worth mentioning.

Off topic, but out of interest, is the 31 aspheric roughly parfocal with the rest of the Hyperions? 

Archived