Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Steep and long learning curve.

piprees

It's been 2 years and still learning. I wouldn't wish to dishearten anybody starting out because taking a photograph of something that you can't see, and then it appears, as if by magic, is one of the most amazing feeling that you can experience.

Keep at it, keep trying different things. Those of you with any artistic talent will produce images far more interesting than I could only dream about.

Hope everyone had a great Christmas and will have a brilliant new year.

PhilB&C300X29+6+6iso800afterDSS&startools.tiff

I suspect that it is one of those things that you really should take slowly and steadily and mainly start simply then build one one bit at a time, until you are at the set up you want. Getting all the stuff in one go and then trying to make it all operational rarely works.

The one time that it may be necessary to get all at once is if you are doing it in relation to a business or it is your "professional" occupation.

The astronomy bit and the image capture I do not mind but after years of working on computers of all sorts I really go off the time spent processing - I do not really want to spend any time processing stuff on a PC. Having close to no artisitic talent means I use that as half a reason to just go out and look about.

You are right, It is a steep and long learning curve! Expensive too...

But it is such a buzz and reward to find something on you camera and computer that is invisible to the naked and also invisible when looking through the scope that you used to capture the data.

For me, the best thing I have done recently is subscribe to Photoshop.... the recent cloudy skies have allowed me to learn so much more about processing, though I am still, i suspect, just touching the surface.

In fact, the whole thing, from setting up to printing or displaying the final image, involves such a wide range of skills and knowledge. It's great to know that oldish geezers like me can still learn and get great rewards from this hobby whist warding off dementia for a few days at least! Tim. 

Archived