Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Is a 80-ED refractor a good investment?

JR1987

OK I give in... I dont think im going to be able to deal with the f6.37 if im used to f4.6

So with the 'buy once, not twice' attitude im looking into bigger budget options.

Im looking at either the Skywatcher Esprit 80ED or the William Optics GT-81 - Much faster scopes!

Opinions?

I'm a visual astronomer so won't offer any advice, other than to say that from reading comments on the forum, this little beastie is getting great reviews. Fast, and with a flat field using five element design. Worth a look.

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/william-optics/william-optics-star-71-f49-5-element-refractor.html

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Im looking at either the Skywatcher Esprit 80ED or the William Optics GT-81 -  Much faster scopes! 

As a GT-81 owner I can recommend it, but you must budget for a field flattener; the GT-81 does have a curved field.

I have no experience with the Esprit but they produce highly detailed and sharp images competitive with the better imaging refractors on the market, so I doubt you'd go far wrong.

I also echo the recommendation for the Explore Scientific 80mm triplet; it is a neat and lightweight platform with good CA control and lesser field curvature than the GT-81, although I'd still recommend a generic flattener. 

In general I think you are on the right lines!

Archived