Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Star Parties in Scotland ??

Cheers Phil, Hi Billy,you will find all the info you need at that link on Scotlands premier event,if you fancy it get a leecy pitch booked asap they are filling up quickly.

The venue is very well equipped and the skies are ,well Dark! Keep a lookout in the next few days i will be posting November`s detail`s,always well atended.

Any questions ask away or pm me  :grin:

Regards

Mike

Hi,

Yes, there has been a fanastic series of Star Parties held at Dunroamin Camp Site in Kirkinner to the south of Wigton in D & G.

The link to the last one held in November 2015 is below:

http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/233505-galloway-autumn-starparty-2015/

I do an 800 mile round trip to attend.

The skies on a clear dark night are brilliant.

I am a little surprised that members with a huge number of posts were unaware of Scotland's premier party!  :laugh: 

Trust you can attend one..... it really is great...

Cheers

Adrian

Hi Billy,

I have never been to a star party - what goes on and what's the protocol ??

Well....

The essentials to have are:

Java Cakes, Red Torch, a good quality sleeping bag preferably a 4-Season bag, it does get cold especially in November and February, book an electrical pitch if possible,  Tent/Campervan/Caravan or sleep under the clear skies!

Then, a bottle of malt whiskey for the odd cloudy nights, food, cooking equipment, plenty of warm clothing and boots to keep your feet warm and dry.

Astro gear is helpful but not essential, as most attendees will only too happy to let you look through their gear......

A good sense of humour is a great asset, it is easy to make friends at the Galloway star party, there is a games room that we use on the cloudy nights and have a whiskey tasting seesion, there is a pool table and comfy sofas as well.

The camp site at Drumroamin is spotlessly clean and Lesley and Ralph the owners are very accommodating.

Trust the above is helpful.

Cheers

Adrian

In Scotland, I hope it's whisky and not whiskey, Adrian.

I know, I'm a tetchy Jock! :-)

Well, there are our Irish cousins to consider as well! But I do agree, as of partially Scottish ancestry.  A really good 16 year old Lagavulin double matured hits the spot last thing at night.

Derek

Hi Gordon,

In Ireland, we are easy with the spelling, it's the drink that spell binds you!!!!

Let's agree that it's proper title is Uisce Beatha (The Water of Life) and it is often needed on a wet, windy Galloway night....

Incidentally, Uisce Beatha was the name given by Irish monks of the early Middle Ages to distilled alcohol, if you prefer the Latin is Aqua Vitae.

Anyway, it is an essential item on a star party list.

Slainte,

Adrian

Hi, Adrian. Glad you came back on this. Perhaps I can be forgiven for having been thrown because your location states Watford when it would appear that you are a fellow Celt. ('In Ireland, we are easy', etc.)

I couldn't agree more that it's the stuff in the bottle that matters, not how one spells its name!

But our predecessors didn't make it easy even with the Gaelic terms - in Scots Gaelic your 'uisce' becomes 'uisge', usually. I have been party to some several discussions (mostly involving a dram or two and only occasionally being sensible!) about which came first and, for my part, would go with Irish Gaeilc having been brought to Scotland.

And, again, I couldn't agree more that the cratur would be needed on 'a wet, windy Galloway night' ... But it won't be wet and windy at the star party, surely? Let's go for clear, crisp and benign, eh?

Slàinte agad-sa.

(Hmmm. Predictive text made that last sentence rather difficult ...)

Archived