Shoestring stuff for non-pro mounts

I was looking to get my non-pro EQ6 autoguiding by modifying the hand controller to take either the GPINT-PT unit or the GPUSB.

1. I was wondering - what are the advantages to using the USB interface over the parallel interface, which justify the extra £25 (£40 if I get the parallel interface from Andy)?

Then the EQDIR caught my attention.

2. If I understand correctly, I can effevtively have a GOTO mount by connecting it via EQDIR to a laptop?

3. That's great, but how do I connect it to the EQ6? I would assume through the handcontroller socket, but IIRC my EQ6 uses an RJ12 socket like the HEQ5. The HEQ5 cable is apparently only for use with the HEQ5?

4. If my EQ6 uses an RJ12, is this an old model? Is that bad?

5. Could I also autoguide the mount using EQDIR?

Sorry for all the questions...

Andrew

The EQDIR needs the Pro interface and motors Andrew

It says

For the latest generation of Synta HEQ5 and EQ6 mounts:

* Skywatcher EQ6 RPO

* Skywatcher HEQ5 PRO

* Skywatcher EQ6

* Skywatcher HEQ5

* Orion Sirius EQ-G

* Orion Atlas EQ-G

Andrew,

I'm not sure which mounts are compatible, but to answer your other questions about connectivity ....

I use the EQDIR device. My laptop only has USB ports, so I use the Astronomiser USB->Serial converter and connect that to one side of EQDIR. I then use a DB-9 cable from the other side of EQDIR to the mount, connecting it in to the socket that the handset is normally connected to i.e. I don't use the handset at all any more.

EQMOD and ASCOM need to be installed and I run SkyMap to control the mount, but any planetarium program that permits ASCOM control such as CduC, Stellarium etc. can be used. All I do is "Connect" and the EQMOD client pops up allowing me to configure, start tracking, perform alignment etc. To go to something, I just use the planetarium's "go to" capability. In the case of SkyMap, I have some pretty obscure catalogues loaded, but as long as they show up on the display, I can go to any objects they include.

You can also autoguide using EQMOD. I've not tried it yet, but no further cables or connections are required. The reason the autoguider port is not used, is because the method used is called "pulse guiding" and the corrections are just sent down the same wire. Many users on the EQMOD forum use PHD which (I believe) supports pulse guiding. In effect both PHD and the planetarium program share the connection to do their thing.

Have a look at the EQMOD Yahoo Group for more info about compatible mounts and for documentation. I've not used my handset since last year and doubt that I will ever use it again.

Mike

Archived