New member from Rhondda, South Wales

Pepper31

Hi, I'm excited to say I have been given my very first telescope (celestron ps1000) and can't wait to get going. I don't know a thing about astronomy yet, so if you have any recommendations of useful beginner texts that would be most appreciated. I saw 'left turn at Orion' which may be a useful starting point?

Many thanks

Hello and a warm welcome to the SGL. Turn Left at Orion comes highly recommended. You might also want to download the free app Stellarium which will help you learn the night sky and how it appears from your location. The main thing is to go out there and enjoy yourself.

A warm welcome Pepper all the way from a very warm and sunny Bulgaria, which is a bit odd for now. It is a very long time since I was in your neck of the woods but I always liked that part of the country. I agree with Laudropb, the books very good and the free download will help you no end. There is also another I use which I believe is free as well, Cartes du Ciel, this can be added to with the right downloads to make an atlas to include very faint stars.

Hi Pepper

Welcome to SGL and congrats on your new scope. Turn Left at Orion is a great book to learn your way around the sky. There are also a couple of good monthly magazines aimed at amateurs that you might find useful - Astronomy Now and SKy at Night (the latter is more commonly available).

Enjoy

Paul

Hi and welcome to the forum. Would add my recommendation to both the book Turn Left at Orion along with Stellarium too as the two combined will certainly help you learn the sky and know where the main targets are. Don't hesitate to ask any question as it arises, just post it under the relevant section and the replies will follow in due course and remember, there is no such thing as a daft question, just the one you didn't ask!  :smiley:

Wishing you clear skies to test out your new telescope and hope you enjoy your stay here.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived