Newbie in the Bay Area

brennanmh

Just came across, through family, a Celestron 8, I think it's from around 1981.

Beautiful telescope. Trying to figure out all the bits. The scope, mount, and tripod are pretty straightforward, but I've also got this large motor looking thing, Celestron 14 on the plate.

The scope S/N is 812579. Puts it in the early '80s, I think.

There are also some boxes with a manual that says "electronic aids for telescope clock drives". Lot's of wires :-).

Also a camera mount and view lenses.

Makes me realize how much things have changed with the "dial-a-celestial-body" computer/motors we've got now.

Anyway, hoping to get this bad boy set up. I haven't had the pleasure of playing with a "portable" 8" before. Mostly just my buddy's 6". The images I've seen from 8s are so much better than what I've seen through a 6, real detail of Jupiter, for example.

I'm itching to take it out.

post-48577-0-76338300-1451032579_thumb.jpost-48577-0-34489900-1451032582_thumb.jpost-48577-0-86681800-1451032586_thumb.j

Hi 'brennanmh' and welcome to SGL.

I believe that this is one of the Celestron classics. I would advise that you purchase or make a dew-shield for it.

A great xmas present/find to end 2015 on and start for 2016. Well done.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived