Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

bad seeing?

Fozzie

Evening all and seasons greetings....

Quick question, I'm out with the f11 and binoviewer just looking moonwards and every so often, at random intervals, it's like the moon shudders almost resonates out of focus and then comes back again...

Is this just terrible seeing, as I'm also seeing it in cyclops mode too...?

Or is it something I need to see an optician about?

Ta

Fozzie

Not so sure, I'm out in the yard with my 76mm F6.8, the lunar clarity and contrast appeared and stayed sharp at 96X, so seeing conditions here are good (but blustery). I am waiting for Gemini and Orion to emerge over the roof tops for locating doubles, but will look at the moon and again and check for this. 

Whilst I'm not so sure about the pop group as I'm an 80's child the other points make sense.. i was camped in a sheltered spot near the house, so it could be a thermal from the chimney blowing over...

Same shimmering effect at 50x mag as at150x.. I'll put it down to poor seeing and stray thermal from local environmental factors..

Thanks

For the replies

Ta

Fozzie

I figured it was bad seeing on that night too, I was trying to do a star test on Polaris - and then see if maybe I could split it - but it was all over the place, really wobbly and it just wouldn't settle to a point. Typical given the brightness of the full moon and the lack of being able to do any DSO viewing.

Archived