Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Epic planetarium music?

Star Slinger

Hello!

I work at the Washington State University planetarium here in Washington state, and over the past few days I've started planning out some shows for Spring. I soon realized that I need some suggestions for new music/particular songs that I can play during my shows because I've been using songs from the "Cosmos" soundtrack...but that's essentially ALL I have used over the past year or so lol.

I spend a lot of time on Itunes to no avail...nothing sounds right. I'd like it to be very epic, soft, instrumental, ambient quality with a science/scifi twist. Something you wouldn't mind kicking back and listening to in a planetarium setting. Friends have suggested I should check out certain movie soundtracks too...but still I haven't found anything that seems quite right.

I'm hoping some of you out there can make an awesome suggestion that will rock my world!

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello!

I work at the Washington State University planetarium here in Washington state, and over the past few days I've started planning out some shows for Spring. I soon realized that I need some suggestions for new music/particular songs that I can play during my shows because I've been using songs from the "Cosmos" soundtrack...but that's essentially ALL I have used over the past year or so lol.

I spend a lot of time on Itunes to no avail...nothing sounds right. I'd like it to be very epic, soft, instrumental, ambient quality with a science/scifi twist. Something you wouldn't mind kicking back and listening to in a planetarium setting. Friends have suggested I should check out certain movie soundtracks too...but still I haven't found anything that seems quite right.

I'm hoping some of you out there can make an awesome suggestion that will rock my world!

You should probably have some Holst- The planets in there as a first (even though Gustav got the idea for the songs from astrology or so i've heard, perhaps ignore that bit)

I would also recommend you check out the Homeworld 1 sound track. It's very ambient and actually makes space sound quite daunting and large. Have a look through this playlist: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL2BF597D4E13BBA8A

Homeworld Catsclysm is also a good OST but it was a Sci-Fi horror and the music is of slightly lower quality.

Another good set of music could be the Legacy of the Void OST, very space-like and grand but possibly too battle-themed?

~pip

EDIT: Ignore the fact the video embedded itself, go to its YouTube page and use the description box for song timestamps.

'The machine age' title track from 'Bicentennial man'. Builds to a climax and is technological, sciency with an ethereal edge.

'The cloud' from Star trek the motion picture, mysterious and a little spooky & dramatic.

Brian Eno's 'Apollo'

Mike Oldfield's music has some 'spaced-out' feelings eg 'The songs of distant Earth, 'Tubular bells'

My thoughts (artist, album, track, length):

Synergy, Electronics Realisations for Rock Orchestra, Legacy, 10:10

Tangerine Dream, Force Majeure, Cloudburst Flight, 7:29

John Surman, The Amazing Adventures of simon simon, Part I Nestors Saga, 10:50

Ulrich Schnauss, A Long Way to Fall, Her and the Sea, 5:00

Hope thats the kind of thing you are looking for. :)

Rob

I hope that you wont think me mundane, but why are we leaving out Gustav Holst? One does not get any more "planetary" than that!

Check out post #2 in this thread; Pipnina mentioned Holst.... :)

Great suggestions so far...might give all these a listen as I am needing different music to listen to.

Before you all get carried away, you seem to have forgotten something...

© COPYRIGHT.

Here in GB/UK we have PRS. Does the US has something similar?

I would suggest that you find what 'royalty free music' there is before you end up with an artist and/or others suing you for use of the/their 'intellectual property'.

© COPYRIGHT.

I would suggest that you find what 'royalty free music' there is before you end up with an artist and/or others suing you for use of the/their 'intellectual property'.

I don't think it hurts to makes suggestions as to appropriate music. The licensing aspects are the OP's own business aren't they?

I don't think it hurts to makes suggestions as to appropriate music. The licensing aspects are the OP's own business aren't they?

I'm assuming any soundtrack picked will be done under full licencing and copyright laws.

This is the kind of liveshow JMJ puts on. Ive seen him live twice (London Docklands and here in Dublin) .

Rondez vous Houston.........(the greatest concert i was never at)

I don't really know what a show would look like but there are many tracks from bands that would go very well in a show,

Some that spring to mind    Life on Mars and Space Oddity David Bowie.

Hawkwind, many tracks if you really want to be that way out, Space is Deep, words by the only band to have a poet, Michael Moorcock for a period in the 70's.

Astronomy Domini, Set the controls for the heart of the Sun, Darkside of the Moon, Pink Floyd.   The Cosmos Album by Vangelis.   Many tracks by Jean Michel Jarre.    Many tracks from about 80 albums by Tangerine Dream.

Of course there is always the Planets by Holst and if you want something a little different there is Tomita the Japanese electronic music wizard's version.

Something to be going on with.

Alan

I don't really know what a show would look like but there are many tracks from bands that would go very well in a show,

Some that spring to mind    Life on Mars and Space Oddity David Bowie.

Hawkwind, many tracks if you really want to be that way out, Space is Deep, words by the only band to have a poet, Michael Moorcock for a period in the 70's.

Astronomy Domini, Set the controls for the heart of the Sun, Darkside of the Moon, Pink Floyd.   The Cosmos Album by Vangelis.   Many tracks by Jean Michel Jarre.    Many tracks from about 80 albums by Tangerine Dream.

Of course there is always the Planets by Holst and if you want something a little different there is Tomita the Japanese electronic music wizard's version.

Something to be going on with.

Alan

You've saved me typing what I was thinking about.

A+

Rich

Pink Floyd, but 'Echoes' might be more appropriate than 'Interstellar Overdrive' or 'Astronomie Dominie'.

Classical, Thus Spake Zrathustra is obvious as is Mars, but how about Carmina Burana.

Yes - Starship Trooper (especially the third movement 'Wurm'.

'Flight of the Snowgoose' by Camel might work.

And +1 for Hawkwind. Forge of Vulcan, Goat Willow

Neil

P.S. Sorry if some of the spelling is out ...

P.P.S. Musiclal pedantry - Bands with poets? Bob Calvert was a poet but Moorcock is a novelist, and he had his own band, Deep Fix! And Gong had Daevid Allen! And wot about Dylan!) Actually sticking with Moorcock, Veteran of the Psychic Wars by Blue Oyster Cult might fit. ;-)

© COPYRIGHT.

I'm fairly sure we can use it under the guise of "educational purposes" though we do seek out permission as well. We did a show not long ago called "Rock the Rocks" which was essentially rock music with space visuals. All songs we got permission for, and in case we ever did get a sue happy lawyer we can always claim "education" lol.

Archived