Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

HST PacMan. Phew.

MattJenko

NGC281 - The PacMan in narrowband and HST. This has taken me a very very long time to get the data for thanks to the UK weather. Taken over the course of a few months, with the Sii data being the last and most fraught, a sub here and a sub there and some during high thin cloud and moonlight, as beggars can't be choosers. Thought I would never finish it!

Skywatcher ED80, Atik 414ex, HEQ5.

18 x 20mins Ha, 14 x 20 mins Oiii, 16 x 20 mins Sii.

NGC281-PacMan-L.jpg

That is awesome!

Pacman is one of the most loved games not just by kids but of all ages. I remember my college friend threw out an instant house party and when she opened the cupboard all she had was something like these http://partyopedia.co/products/pac-man-the-ghostly-adventures-birthday. Imagine college teens using Pacman paper cups for beers? Not bad. T'was a night of fun!

I greatly admire this, as do the others - and rightly. The thing is to nail an image. (I'm quoting my imaging buddy Tom O'Donoghue in saying this, from maybe ten years ago.) OK, it takes a long time from difficult skies - but take that time and you'll succeed. Here's the proof. I hope that Matt feels a deep glow of satisfaction from seeing this image on here. It wasn't captured from Hawaii.

Olly

Thank you very much for the compliments. I am extremely pleased with the end result of this, and think that while it has been hugely frustrating at times, I am certainly glad it got to an end, and I have learnt a lot in the process. We have to make the most of whatever we can as amateurs, be that in the equipment we can afford, the time we can dedicate and/or the vagaries of the weather where we live, and it is just amazing that these objects are achievable in our skies with a little bit of effort. 

What a hobby this is! - I love it.

Archived