Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Ring around the Moon

Davey-T

Just saw the same thing last night (Christmas Eve), in Whitstable Kent, my wife pointed it out, observed with two friends. I have taken some pics not great but you can see the effect, it was spectacular and i haven't seen it before. Will post the pics soon.

Anyone know what causes it, how often it happens?

Thanks, Peter

...didn't realise they are so common, especially more common than rainbows!

Nor me :-)

I've only seen a few over the years, despite they being apparently common, and to me they seem unusual enough (at least the really good ones anyway) to be special.

I believe it was actually a 46 degree halo (attached image, full frame 28mm lens) - less common. The size on the image calculates up as close to 46 degrees. Handheld, so not too sharp, and the vast over-exposure of the Moon has made it look larger than it actually is.

Chris

post-8142-0-53477900-1451132051_thumb.jp

I believe it was actually a 46 degree halo (attached image, full frame 28mm lens) - less common. The size on the image calculates up as close to 46 degrees. Handheld, so not too sharp, and the vast over-exposure of the Moon has made it look larger than it actually is.

Chris

looks like 22 deg to me. bearing in mind that the moon is 0.5 degree. I may well be wrong though, it happened once before ;)

edit 1 I just looked at a fov calculator and it appears I'm wrong....sorry :(

edit 2 It appears I was wrong about being wrong.. 22 deg is the radius, not the diameter :)

Chris

22 or 46. Good to learn there is another variation on the moon halo theme. Next time I'll need to pay some more attention to working out which one I'm looking at!

• 2 weeks later...

I remember some years ago (maybe even 20) there was a halo on the moon which was caused not by the atmosphere but by a dust cloud in space. That was also in the news, incredible view.

Carsten

Ive seen a "proper" Lunar halo once. It was huge (meaning quite a distance away from and around the Moon). Seen a halo around the Moon lots of times when the light from it shines through thin clouds. I dont think it counts as a proper halo when shining through thin clouds. A proper halo happens on a crystal clear night when the light from the Moon reflects off of ice crystals in the atmosphere.

IIRC.

Ive also seen a complete solar halo once. Completely clear blue sky and huge halo all the way around the sun.

Archived