Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_30_second_exp_2_winners.thumb.jpg.b5430b40547c40d344fd4493776ab99f.jpg

alcol620

ready made piers

Hi folks

I'm considering building a pier and currently researching the options. Plenty of diy ones (concrete) to view on the internet. Obviously cheaper in monetary terms but higher on effort!

Grateful on any pointers and views on ready made piers available in the UK.  Needs to support a AZ EQ6 mount.

Thanks for looking

A bespoke pier from your local steel fabricators are often better as you can order exactly to height.  They work out considerably cheaper too if you can find some suitable material in their "offcuts" pile.  Painting can be an easy DIY job.

There are a couple of interesting videos on Youtube by Astronomy ansd Nature TV about the design of anti-vibration piers.....food for thought.

Its my intention to build a concrete pier next summer built from 215mm hollow concrete block, these will be bolted together and bonding with CT1  roughly 3 in the ground and 2 above with a brake disc to hold the mount in place, cost less £40 this includes the post mix to hold the 3 in the ground in place......

http://www.cwberry.com/Inquiry_ProductDetails.aspx?ItemNumber=02030069

Edited by Tinker1947
  • Like 1

Or you could get one of these

http://www.scopesnskies.com/prod/observatoy%20pier/ac421.html

And I have a friend with a brand new one that was bought by his father, and he sadly passed away and never used it, it was delivered into his garage and still sits there unused and in mint as new condition along with all his Astro kit which I have been asked to sell on there behalf after Christmas. The pier also has a seperate top plate for his celestron cpc800 SCT scope.

AB

Really?, most of my concrete pillars are free standing including my 8.5" F12.5 refractor.  :smiley:

I have a Rigel Pier. I bought it with the intention of monting a M-Uno on it but when I decided to shelve that idea got in touch with Graham for a replacement HEQ5 top. It came (FOC by the way) but the holes were wrong so I'm about to drill and tap 10 mm for the peg. The height is about the same as the HEQ5 tripod. The bottom holes are 18 mm and the plate 18" dia.

Really?, most of my concrete pillars are free standing including my 8.5" F12.5 refractor.  :smiley:

Free standing surely not just on the ground......

Thanks DaveS

It sounds an enormous beast. What does it weigh (approx)?

Regards

Alec

Thanks for inputs folks. No decision yet, still pondering although tending towards a ready made one.

I've been in the same dilemma this year. I tend to shift between making one and buying one.

Pros for buying are:

less hassle

removable later on

Pros for making are:

cheaper

For astrophotography you'll need to bolt it to a solid foundation.

My current thought is a pre-made pier like this

Hi Peroni

Thanks, pier looks similar to the Rigel. 

Also looking at the requirements that go underground i.e. the concrete block.

I am assuming that 3' x 3' x 3' would be adequate??

Regards

Alec

Tinker.  Yes, straight on the ground! Those for Newtonians are on a 600x600x50 base, the big refractor mounts are on a 600x600x50 base bolted to 4 more arranged as a 1200x1200x50 square. Once bedded in they are rock solid.   :smiley:

Thanks DaveS

It sounds an enormous beast. What does it weigh (approx)?

Regards

Alec

I've not weighed it but I cannot lift it straight up, I have to roll it on its base. However I'm not all that strong. Here's a photo of it in my conservatory

post-3064-0-99936500-1450907763_thumb.jp

It looks to be made from about 6mm thick welded steel. Oh yes, and it gets delivered on a pallet, which adds £50 to the cost.

• Like 1

Thanks Dave most helpful. I have since heard from Pulsar and they are about 75 kg. Will have to get my son round if I decide to buy one!

Any adjustment on the top plate to align the AZ pin for polar alignment - presumably you have get it approximately aligned when bolting it down?

Regards

Alec

75 kg sounds about right, and believable! Fortunately in a previous job I had experience of rolling 200kg drums on their rims. There's no adjustment on the peg apart from the choice of hole to mount it in, it's 10 mm dia. I'm waiting on a clear night to get a good sight of Polaris to do a rough alignment before marking the slab it's going on before drilling the holes. In my case it's going on a 450 mm square paving slab mortared onto the patio pavers. Immediately below the pavers is a metre cube of concrete for the long studs to bed into.

Are you drilling holes into the slab and concrete and fixing the long studs with resin (or something like)?

75 kg sounds about right, and believable! Fortunately in a previous job I had experience of rolling 200kg drums on their rims. There's no adjustment on the peg apart from the choice of hole to mount it in, it's 10 mm dia. I'm waiting on a clear night to get a good sight of Polaris to do a rough alignment before marking the slab it's going on before drilling the holes. In my case it's going on a 450 mm square paving slab mortared onto the patio pavers. Immediately below the pavers is a metre cube of concrete for the long studs to bed into.

Making life a bit easier i would drill the 450mm slab and with small rececces on the under side insert stainless steel bolts through from the bottom so the studs stick out the top, once this is bonded to the patio the jobs done.....i have some really thick 600 X 600 slabs would do the job, not sure where they came from though....

Are you drilling holes into the slab and concrete and fixing the long studs with resin (or something like)?

Making life a bit easier i would drill the 450mm slab and with small rececces on the under side insert stainless steel bolts through from the bottom so the studs stick out the top, once this is bonded to the patio the jobs done.....i have some really thick 600 X 600 slabs would do the job, not sure where they came from though....

Hi yes. I was originally going to lift the pavers that are over the concrete block and build up to mount the pier, but after some replies to an old thread of mine (One by Ollie) I decided that I didn't have to lift the pavers after all. The slab was mortared down back in the summer, the mortar also allowing me to level the slab, as the patio in that area is not quite level (It has a slight drainage slope). I bought the fixing kit that Pulsar offer with four 16 mm cut studs and polyester resin.

When I move I'll take an angle grinder to the bolts and put a garden sundial or similar over the spot.

Thanks for feedback

Hi yes. I was originally going to lift the pavers that are over the concrete block and build up to mount the pier, but after some replies to an old thread of mine (One by Ollie) I decided that I didn't have to lift the pavers after all. The slab was mortared down back in the summer, the mortar also allowing me to level the slab, as the patio in that area is not quite level (It has a slight drainage slope). I bought the fixing kit that Pulsar offer with four 16 mm cut studs and polyester resin.

When I move I'll take an angle grinder to the bolts and put a garden sundial or similar over the spot.

Thanks for feedback Dave, enjoy Christmas and the New Year.  99% will order the ready made pier after New Year

Regards

Alec

Hello Alec, reading your post, Just wondering if you opted for the Rigel Pier and if so what your feedback is. If you have installed how big a pad did you make? Did you drill the bolts in or fit them in when making the concretre pad?

Thanks

Kevin

Hi Kevin.

Yes I bought the EQ6 Rigel pier from Pulsar. Put a lump of concrete in the ground approximately 3' x 3' x3'. Drilled holes on the concrete after putting resin in the holes, dropped the threaded rods in the holes. Pier mounted on the rods and screwed down. Has worked perfectly eve since. A great addition - after first being polar aligned no requirement to re do it again. I leave the mount on the pier and cover it to keep the rain/weather off. Would like to have a dome but circumstances won't permit.

Hope this is useful

Regards

Alec

• Like 1