SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

What's the difference?

Although not being a Dob user the 8" mirror should provide you with some remarkable views of the Moon and Planets. You refer to fuzzy images, but I do not think it will be long before you are hunting down some of the many larger targets you should be able to observe in the Local Galactic Group, with and instrument of this aperture, especially from a very dark site. Messrs FLO have on their books, another very good reflector you have not considered, a used Hubble, shortly to become redundant. the only problem with this is, it will be buyer collect, from its current location :D Enjoy your Astronomy :)

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Best bang for the buck?  ....... yet another vote for the XT8.

The extra aperture has the potential to show you more of the details on Moon and planets that you're interested in (though as others have said, this also depends on the steadiness of the seeing conditions and on your experience of looking.)

There is nothing more frustrating than a shaky mount and this scope has a stable-looking base, and the eyepiece is at a convenient height without the need for a table or other supporting platform. 

To deliver its best, this type of scope may need to have its mirrors collimated from time to time.  It's not a difficult procedure but perhaps get an experienced observer to help you the first time.  If you have a nearby astro club, they would be a great source of help and advice as you learn the ropes. 

Adrian

A no from me, the 8 inch would stay in its box unused as for me it is too big, awkward and heavy which won't change however fantastic the views are from it. It wouldn't work for either storage location or observing for my situation.

Think about what for you will work storage wise and most frequently used observing location.

The best telescope you can have is the one you will use.

A no from me, the 8 inch would stay in its box unused as for me it is too big, awkward and heavy which won't change however fantastic the views are from it. It wouldn't work for either storage location or observing for my situation.

Think about what for you will work storage wise and most frequently used observing location.

It's a fair point. The original post did mention "grab and go" and an 8" dob is not going to fit everybodies understanding of that concept, no matter how much performance it offers.

The 6" Starblast dob would be a more readily portable instrument and require quite a lot less storeage space.

The Dob is probably the biggest aperture for the money. The Orion SpaceProbe 130ST is almost certainly the Orion equivalent of the Sky-Watcher 130P (both manufactured by Synta) except I think the included Orion Plossl eyepieces are probably superior to the Sky-Watcher MA eyepieces. Anything by Orion is pretty good IMO.

I'm honestly surprised you say this. I don't see an 8 inch Newt (of fast-ish F ratio) as being very big and, from a storage point of view, when placed on the floor standing vertically in a corner, its space consumption strikes me as pretty trivial. A footprint of what, one foot square? A bit like an umbrella stand but, please, don't!!

At this point we can only recommend to the OP a visit to and astrosoc or shop to see these items in the flesh. I'd consider that, for anyone with a car, an 8 inch Dob could be considered grab and go. But that's me. I'm not the OP.

Olly

Ryv522f.jpg\

Merry Christmas to me! :) Also, I got 10$ off with that promo code I googled. I'm so excited!!!!!!!

Looks cool. Some interesting things in the sky at the moment as well. I can't wait for my new eyepiece to be delivered tomorrow so I can (weather permitting) get another butcher's hook at the Orion Nebula. Merry Christmas! 

Ditto all the above advice. You don't want to overspend when you're starting out, but you do want to get something that you'll be able to grow into. Lots of people buy a telescope and quickly want another one, not because their first scope's bad, but because it's good, addictively so, and they want more. XT8 would be a superb first telescope that would keep any amateur astronomer happy for a long time.

Thanks guys!! I think I'll go ahead and purchase the XT8 today :) Maybe I can goof off and take some pics through the eye piece when I get set up :)

Some pics of the moon are achievable with a smart phone held to the eyepiece through trial and error really.

Also some have used a cheap modded webcam to capture Jupiter and Saturn and software like registax to get a pretty decent image.

Thank you all for your warm welcomes :) Thank you all for your experienced advice as well!

Here is my return gift to you :) a photo from my very first Lunar observation!

hBvP6Sx.jpg

The telescope arrived yesterday afternoon (12/23) and it was raining alllll day and allllll night. I eventually went to sleep around 12:30AM as it was still raining.

I woke up in the middle of the night, checked the forecast, and it showed the clouds had left! I opened my blinds quickly and there shined the full moon!

I ran downstairs as a child might on Christmas morning.... lol. Took the XT8 outside, lined her up, and boom!

This was taken with my phone (Samsung Galaxy S6) through the stock Sirius Plossl 25.0mm eyepiece!

I can't wait to get more accessories and to view more things!!!!

Thank you all for your warm welcomes :) Thank you all for your experienced advice as well!

Here is my return gift to you :) a photo from my very first Lunar observation!

hBvP6Sx.jpg

The telescope arrived yesterday afternoon (12/23) and it was raining alllll day and allllll night. I eventually went to sleep around 12:30AM as it was still raining.

I woke up in the middle of the night, checked the forecast, and it showed the clouds had left! I opened my blinds quickly and there shined the full moon!

I ran downstairs as a child might on Christmas morning.... lol. Took the XT8 outside, lined her up, and boom

This was taken with my phone (Samsung Galaxy S6) through the stock Sirius Plossl 25.0mm eyepiece!

I can't wait to get more accessories and to view more things!!!!

Many congratulations - a great start and happy Christmas!

Archived