First telescope bought!

lunartic

Hi folks. Been fascinated by the stars since I was a child but finally decided to plump for a nice second hand skywatcher dob which I am now getting to grips with. I enjoyed reading the topics and posts on SGL for a while and thought I'd join in. Would like some input on suggested eyepiece purchases soon :-) I'm in a fairly light polluted area in East Berkshire but it's better on some nights than others. Cheers, andy

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Andy and welcome to SGL, if you would like to repost your inquiry on eye pieces, stating what Dobsonian you have acquired, into the "Beginners getting started equipment help and advice section" rather than here in the Welcome section, I am sure you will get all the information you will need, as there are many Dob users on the forum. If you write a letter to Father Christmas I am sure your family will oblige with a copy of "Turn Left at Orion" a most invaluable book for those just starting out and experienced observers alike. Enjoy your scope :)

Hi Andy,

Welcome on board, remember that clear skies with some light pollution are better the cloudy skies!

If you want to get some idea of the telescope, eyepiece and barlows combinations, there is an app on iPads called AstroAid.

I use it all the time for deep skies viewing. It is not expensive.

Trust we get some clear skies over the Festive Season.

Cheers

Adrian

Hi Andy,

Really great to see more new people...I'm still getting the ropes as well, so you aren't alone. It sounds like you've got a big scope there, and it's aperture would make it amazing for deep sky observing. Being a dob it probably won't have tracking facilities so you might find planetary viewing at high magnification hard, but not impossible, whereas galaxy and diffuse nebula viewing is generally at low magnification. But whatever you are most interested in, I'd definitely suggest getting Turn Left at Orion, it's a fantastic book. Did your scope come with any eyepieces?

(felling green :Envy: about the size of your scope, man!!! Mine's only 130mm.)

John :smiley:

Hi Andy,

Really great to see more new people...I'm still getting the ropes as well, so you aren't alone. It sounds like you've got a big scope there, and it's aperture would make it amazing for deep sky observing. Being a dob it probably won't have tracking facilities so you might find planetary viewing at high magnification hard, but not impossible, whereas galaxy and diffuse nebula viewing is generally at low magnification. But whatever you are most interested in, I'd definitely suggest getting Turn Left at Orion, it's a fantastic book. Did your scope come with any eyepieces?

(felling green :Envy: about the size of your scope, man!!! Mine's only 130mm.)

John :smiley:

Yes it is a fantastic thing, although I may need to get down to the gym tho as its not light!

Got a sky's the limit 15mm 2 inch EP, not sure it's the best for this scope so I shall do some research and look to invest in something a bit more suitable and higher quality, lower mag first ☺

Archived