Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Aurora Amber Alert

Dinsdale Piranha

Has anybody reported any sightings today? Currently on holiday in Oslo, I have not seen anything yet but to be honest I've no idea what to look out for or how visible it could be from a city centre! 

Try to get somewhere dark if you can, when I was in Reykjavik they drove us out to dark sites.  That's not to say it's impossible, but will increase your chances.

Carole 

Just got kicked out of the history museum grounds as they were closing up :( bit stuffed in the city as there are lights everywhere that mess with any photos, however we did have a lovely first sighting from the outside of the flat so still really pleased!!

Just got kicked out of the history museum grounds as they were closing up :( bit stuffed in the city as there are lights everywhere that mess with any photos, however we did have a lovely first sighting from the outside of the flat so still really pleased!!

Your in the right place there, not much chance in chester!  :sad:

It's actually pretty clear here for a change tonight. I'll keep a look out but no aurora signs so far :smiley:

Interesting that you have heavy rain Helen, as you are not far from me as the (soggy) crow flies.

Negative here in Cambridgeshire. Just come in from a windy observing session and, whilst I was mainly pointing the scope south east, I couldn't pick anything up when I turned northwards. Bright moon I guess is making things tricky.

Amazing if people are seeing things in Somerset!

Cloud rolled in to north now so no chance any longer.

Lots of pictures appearing on twitter including photos from as far south as Somerset, so if you have clear skies worth a look (its lashing down with rain here  :sad:  )

Helen

Oh ! any links ? How does one keep tabs on all of this social media stuff ? !

I got the usual alerts (Aurora watch, amateur radio, WingKp etc) and went out in N.Somerset,

a little south of John

and saw only a thin haze of blue-white tending greenish white at times

8- 8.30 ish and again 9 - 9-40ish ) very low on the north horizon.

Thought it was all a usual damp squib ( no pics here ! )

Thought it was the usual "might have been" as Kp was at 7 predicted 9 Wow

Bz is still high and south but no aurora and AuroraWatch not hopeful, oh , ,  / crashed again !

correction : back but still only amber blocks under a (nice!)wiggly line

perhaps another  trip in the car is indicated :) >>>

hope springs eternal :)

I went out and had a look. I'm up on the Cambridgeshire / Lincolnshire border. Whilst the sky did seem a little brighter than I was expecting, I couldn't see anything.

I wonder if I had used the camera, it may well have picked something up as all the images that I've seen showed Aurora very low down...

Cheers

Dinsdale.

Was a superb evening in Norfolk. On the advice of a twitter friend @chunder10 - I headed to the coast and booked into the backpackers hostel at Burnham Deepdale (£40 per night for a room with an en-suite) and managed despite the moon to see and photograph the aurora - my 1st time ever seeing. Was tough as the moon was so bright, but I set up in the shade of a tree and have these two pics.

post-13811-0-82002700-1450704066_thumb.j

post-13811-0-02632300-1450704131_thumb.j

It was very faintly perceptible to the naked eye down here in Hampshire.  Long exposure pics unsurprisingly made it look a lot better and I'm happy to see it again after too long a time since my last sighting of it!

Archived