Narrowband

Hyperions or Luminoses?

Dyptorden

Hi everyone,

I intend to buy (for my 8' Dob) an eyepiece for general usage (both DSO and planetary through 4xPowermate) - meaning 12-15mm and a wider angle than the Plossls. Has anyone made a comparison between the Baader Hyperions and the Celestron Luminos series? (Luminos is at the top of my budget). Also other similar eypieces? There have been some similar discussions here and there but no comparison between the Hyp and Lumi.

Best regards,

hi, what i do know is the hyperions are good eyepieces but only in slow scopes around f10. the celestrons are the same or close to the sw/williams uwans so should be good for f6/f5. but have you considered the new tv delites or secondhand delos or even naglers, they will be better again for similar money

I own 3 Luminos and they work well to my eyes, but some have a very negative view of this series whereas the Celestron Axiom ( same EP, different manufacturer for Celestron) are widely liked. The Axiom will hold their value better than the Luminos, eventhough performance is similar. Not sure about Hyperions.

For these reasons I would look for a used Axiom first.

Hi there, the Hyperions will not perform well in your scope and I would therefore recommend the Luminos (Axiom LX's even better second-hand).  Failing that if you can afford Explore Scientific (any series, but the 82's highly recommended) they would be much better and well suited to your scope:

http://www.explorescientific.co.uk/en/Eyepieces/

Some good suggestions above.

I'd add the Maxvision eyepieces to the recommendations, if you can get them. I've been using the 24mm 68 degree Maxvision with my F/5.3 12" dob and my other scopes and it works really well. My usual eyepieces are Tele Vue and Pentax but the Maxvision fights it's corner very well for the moest investment.

Thank you so much,

Could you tell me if Axiom (first generation, not the LX) would be nice? I found a second hand one - it has 70°

The second hand market in my country is almost zero.

The 1st generation Axiom's were made in Japan. I had one recently but found that it was not well corrected, rather dissapointingly. It would be fine in an F/10 scope probably but showed a surprising amount of outer field star distortions in my F/5.3, F/6.5 and even my F/7.5 scopes.

Some good suggestions above.

I'd add the Maxvision eyepieces to the recommendations, if you can get them. I've been using the 24mm 68 degree Maxvision with my F/5.3 12" dob and my other scopes and it works really well. My usual eyepieces are Tele Vue and Pentax but the Maxvision fights it's corner very well for the moest investment.

Thank you for the Maxvision suggestion John, but i need an eyepiece in the [12;15] interval and Maxvisions go from 20mm to more.

May I ask what other eyepieces you have? maybe you need to look over the whole picture?

This is a good guide about what focal lengths you should consider:

http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/43171-eyepieces-the-very-least-you-need/

A 12-15mm eyepice works very well with your scope(assuming a f6), but most often not together with 4x powermate, maybe in the extremely good seeing conditions which happens rarely.

May I ask what other eyepieces you have? maybe you need to look over the whole picture?

This is a good guide about what focal lengths you should consider:

http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/43171-eyepieces-the-very-least-you-need/

A 12-15mm eyepice works very well with your scope(assuming a f6), but most often not together with 4x powermate, maybe in the extremely good seeing conditions which happens rarely.

What I own now are 2 eyepieces having 52° :

Celestron Omni 17mm

SkyWatcher Let 25mm

I want an improvement for both dso and planets. Jupiter for example, was beautiful with the 17mm ("converted" to 4.25 through powermate) and I want a higher magnification for planets. The 12mm would be the ep that would bring me to the "maximum theoretical" magnification that the telescope can carry. I avoid the 12 and that is why 14mm ES 82° would fit best i believe (according to answers on forum) - it would have a fov close to the 25mm LET and a 343x for planets. The high fov will also help me keep planets in sight more before having to re-position the telescope.

Thank you for the Maxvision suggestion John, but i need an eyepiece in the [12;15] interval and Maxvisions go from 20mm to more.

Apologies - I should have read your initial post more thoroughly :rolleyes2:

Sounds like you have a 4x Powermate ?

Your 17mm powermated gives 282x which from my experience is really as much as is useful with an 8" dob to be honest. Most of the time 200-240x would be better.

The 400x that the Powermated 12mm would give is very rarely going to be useful. I don't use that sort of power much even with my 12" dob.

Apologies - I should have read your initial post more thoroughly :rolleyes2:

Sounds like you have a 4x Powermate ?

Your 17mm powermated gives 282x which from my experience is really as much as is useful with an 8" dob to be honest. Most of the time 200-240x would be better.

The 400x that the Powermated 12mm would give is very rarely going to be useful. I don't use that sort of power much even with my 12" dob.

Completly agree about the 12mm as I said in the previous post, but I believe that a 14mm (equivalent to 3.5 with Powermate -> 342x) would be a nice improvement over the 17 which brings me nice views (of planets). Would it be too much magnification with the 14mm?

Completly agree about the 12mm as I said in the previous post, but I believe that a 14mm (equivalent to 3.5 with Powermate -> 342x) would be a nice improvement over the 17 which brings me nice views (of planets). Would it be too much magnification with the 14mm?

Well I never found that sort of magnification much use when I had an 8" scope in all honesty. Maybe on the Moon on a really, really, really good night ?

Jupiter is best at 180x-240x even with my 12" dob. Saturn and Mars will take more but even then 300x - 350x is about the best I can do with them most of the time. You do occasionally get an exceptional night of course, but only a few like that per year.

My 12" has pretty good optics too.

Maybe get a low cost 12-15mm plossl and try it out before investing any more ?

You should be able to get Maxvision from where you live, I have had almost all of these but under the Meade flag, they were a cancelled Meade order I believe. When they were called meade Series 5000 they were expensive so now as Maxvision they are a real bargain.

Alan

I have the Celestron Luminos 10mm, it is a well made and nicely engineered eyepiece with a generous 17mm field stop and impressive 82° AFOV. I found that it is generally good for planets on a slow scope (Mak f/12.7) but can tend to suffer from a glaring white-out effect with a bright Moon that's near full. AFAIK Celestron are going to discontinue the Luminos series. I have heard that they don't perform well at all on fast scopes and I noticed similar glaring on my Newtonian (f/6.9). The 15mm Luminos seems to be the best of the 1.25" series although I have never actually used one. I did have some great views of Saturn with my 10mm though.

CelestronLuminos1box%20-%20Copy_zpsr4c2l

Having owned Hyperions (not bad), Luminos (pretty good) and Explore Scientific eyepieces I have no doubt that the ES give the best value for money. The 6.7mm 82deg is a lovely eyepiece and you can buy one new from the UK for around £110. I think there is a 4.7mm too for similar cost. Check out www.Bresser.de

Another great used eyepiece ( there is one on UKAstro Buy Sell right now, it is not mine!) is the Meade 4000 UWA 14mm 84deg. It is a wonderful, Japanese eyepiece, very sharp to the edge in my scopes and I think would do well in your DOB..but you wouldn't want to use a x4 power mate with it, a x2 or possibly x3 would be the maximum for useable magnification. Also, the Meade is a big, heavy eyepiece (fits both 2" and 1.25" focusers) so you'd want to check it didn't overbalance your scope.

Good luck.

Dave

Archived