Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Observing opportunities

texaspete1973

I live in llandaff  and always go ystrad mynach ,crumlin ,Pontypool ,then up to blaenavon , the site is off the main road between blaenavon and Abergavenny which is well used the last quarter mile up too the masts is the only bit , but never " that bad to worry about" and we have left the site after sitting with the car running for 10mins to thaw out the screen and scraping ice off me gear before putting it in the car

Lenny

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As Lenny said access is very good, and paved all the way. The turnoff is 3/4 of a mile North of the junction of the B4248 & B4246 intersection. The towers are a 1/2 mile to the East off of the B4246 road, and should be easy to see in the distance. The observing site is next to these towers, and is level and completely paved.

• 1 month later...

Glad you and others were able to get some quality time under the stars yesterday Dai.  Yeah, looking through the window last night I thought it would be great to be out observing.  A lot of opportunities do get missed in this hobby, sometimes due to life's priorities, or other circumstances.  I'm still trying to hobble around on crutches after my accident last week; I don't recommend "learning to fly" off of a ladder to anyone, lol.  Because our Blaenavon observing meets are an informal get together, any SGL member can post a short notice topic, and arrange an observing session with those who are interested. Regardless, the weather forecasts are nothing for any of us to bet our money on.  We have never been limited to just the scheduled monthly observing meets, so I encourage everyone to let the group know their thoughts, and to take the initiative and set up a meet if they would like to. 

• 4 weeks later...

Hi folks,

In a few days I will be off line, and out of the loop for awhile, so will be unable to follow up on tentative Observing Meets.  Depending on the weather, the weekend of April 8th should provide the best dark sky conditions for April.  Although the forum here has been rather quiet, I trust there will be interest within the group and a short notice meet will be proposed; and hopefully the weather will improve soon to make it happen.

Cheers, and clear skies !

Thanks Mike- hope your well after the base jumping episode from your ladder.  We seem to have had some lovely clear nights of late but I must admit to having not gotten my scope out hardly at all this year and am now pretty much writing the season off - first the appalling weather then the daughter moving back in with her boyfriend and Husky - its been pretty frustrating to be sure and like you said other priorities take over.

I'm going to keep in touch with the group and hopefully get out and about in the Autumn and catch up with you guys again

Mike thanks for keeping the observing meets going even if we have been a bit unlucky this year- hopefully I'll catch up soon

take care all - and clear skies

• 4 weeks later...

Shocking viewing opportunities this year due to the weather. Just come back from Gran Canaria, clear skies every night with great views. Didn't take my bins with me so just bought a cheap pair in a flea market over there as I didn't want to miss an opportunity. 

Archived