Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

NGC 5139 - Omega Centauri

Paxo

Being an enthusiastic globular cluster fan, after speaking to SteveL last weekend about remote imaging, I couldn't resist doing a little remote capture from Southern Skies on the biggest and most impressive of all the globs - Omega Centauri.

Here's the deal; Remote equipment used:

RCOS 12.5" FL2846mm @ f/9 Ritchey Chretien Cassegain

Camera SBIG STL-11000M ABG

Picture below was 5 unguided 2 minute subs with only luminance data collected. Subsequent processing using DSS and Photoshop CS2.

6196_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

Picture shows a 43 x 29 Arc mins. NGC 5139 has a radius of some 100 ly which makes it big compared with M13 for example at 85ly.

I hope you agree a magnificent subject, I am reasonably happy with the results for unguided short subs (and so few of them). Please enjoy.

Regards

Steve..

Nice shot of an amazing object. I've got get a real look at that before I pop my clogs... :shocked:

L'Missus is still talking about emigrating to NZ, obviously I'll be taking my kit when it happens, guests will be welcome :cat:.

Steve, it's a great shot whatever way it was obtained:). Not quite sure what to make of this remote imaging milarky, does being a victim of location make it OK to use technology that's available (at a price) so you can grab shots like these? Another thread methinks....

Tony..

Tony,

I think as a tool to record objects that I will in all probability never get chance to image otherwise, ie some of the southern skies objects, the remote imaging is a useful additional facility to the already rapidly growing arsenal of tools available to the amateur. It will not, however, ever come close to the thrill of seeing an object appear through your own imaging equipment and the knowledge that you have set-up all the equipment, aligned, guided etc and ultimately process the image.

The other side of things is the need to keep practising on the image manipulation and the need to acquire data for that. These long spring/summer days, moon and general bad weather don't allow this and work commitments mean that another way of grabbing data is useful.

I think this whole issue of remote data capture will polarise most views not only on this forum but in amateur astronomy as a whole, but from a personal point of view, while the technology is there to use, I won't disregard for those reasons given above, but it will never replace my own scope(s). Just look at my recent M13 compared to this picture. Clearly inferior equipment, but the image is superior as I hd direct control over the setup and processing.......Food for thought............

Steve..

That's a great picture Steve - and I agree with you on being able to capture and practise on data to hone your skills during our (extended) periods of not-so-clear-or-dark skies!!

I'll be setting my own account very soon!

An excellent image, Steve - my own 'jury' is still out on how I feel about using this sort of exciting technology but I can see that it is a great way of capturing images of objects that you literally cannot ever see from this hemisphere.

Nice shot of an amazing object. I've got get a real look at that before I pop my clogs... :cat:

You mean a real live look Gaz. Me too mate, It's an awsome sight on paper or screen, but a live eyeball has to be candy extreme. I think we need A NZ or Aussie Star Party. Now who's going to organize that one. :shocked:

Ron.

Nice result Steve. I think it is great that this sort of remote imaging is available, and I admire those who take advantage of it. It is a great sight OC. but if you had given it the same treatment as your Keilder effort, it would have turned out as mighty as we have all seen it.

As it is, and it is nice, I agree your own was a blistering effort.

Ron. :shocked:

I got to see this a couple of years ago - awesome :shock: even though it was only through my little ZS66. The view of this cluster and the carina nebula meant that I considered the scope had paid for itself and the hassle of lugging it around for 3 weeks was well worth it. It took me a little while to think that the northern hemisphere clusters were even worth bothering with! But I love them now :shocked:

Helen

Nice shot of an amazing object. I've got get a real look at that before I pop my clogs... :cat:

You mean a real live look Gaz. Me too mate, It's an awsome sight on paper or screen, but a live eyeball has to be candy extreme. I think we need A NZ or Aussie Star Party. Now who's going to organize that one. :shocked:

Ron.

Yep Ron, though a 8"+ Newt....

Ron.

Ron,

I'll host one at my place in 2 years - so everyone has got plenty of time to save. :cat:

Sam

Ron.

Ron,

I'll host one at my place in 2 years - so everyone has got plenty of time to save. :cat:

Sam

You're on Sam, I've just put the first £1 coin in the Pot Pig with a label on it. Not to be smashed until June 2010. I do like the sound of that year. Arthur C. Clarkes Second sun was born. :cat:

Ron.:cat:

Archived