SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Shops in Manchester area not just online

Hi all

Can anyone help please i am new to astronomy and i am looking for a shop in the manchester area with a show room so i can see what i'm buying and get some help at the same time.

All the ones i've seen on the web are online only

Thanks

Hi all

Can anyone help please i am new to astronomy and i am looking for a shop in the manchester area with a show room so i can see what i'm buying and get some help at the same time.

All the ones i've seen on the web are online only

Thanks

Opticstar no longer has a showroom. There was one in Stockport but I think that it may have gone bust but I am not 100% sure of that. Rothervalley Optics is still in business.

A.G

As posted previously Opticstar is now web only, the Stockport Binocular shop closed sometime ago, but I think they they do still have a shop. Have a look at their website, tells you on there. As said, where abouts in Greater Manchester are you, do you know what sort of equipment you are after - reflector, SCT, refractor. I could show you the equip I have - see my signature [emoji106]

Sent from my Fone

Opticstar

Hi and welcome.

Manchester is rather large, would you care to be more specific?

Do you have your own transport?

Would you not do better to visit your local club, have a chat with them, maybe even try a few 'in anger'?

Thanks for the reply, yes i have my own transport and in Urmston so travelling anywhere in greater manchester is no problem. 

I am new to astronomy and mainly wanting to do some astrophotography having seen and photographed the milky way for the first time last week so i am not a member of any club as yet

Three recommendations from an earlier post - I think all three are still going strong

http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/66862-astronomy-supplies-in-manchester/

Opticstar no longer has a showroom. There was one in Stockport but I think that it may have gone bust but I am not 100% sure of that. Rothervalley Optics is still in business.

A.G

As posted previously Opticstar is now web only, the Stockport Binocular shop closed sometime ago, but I think they they do still have a shop. Have a look at their website, tells you on there. As said, where abouts in Greater Manchester are you, do you know what sort of equipment you are after - reflector, SCT, refractor. I could show you the equip I have - see my signature [emoji106]

Sent from my Fone

Thanks everyone for your replies 

As far as i can see on the net Stockport and Opticstar are mail order only so i will take a look at the others you have recommended Green Witch and Rothervalley 

Thank you

Yes, Stockport telescope and binocular centre and Opticstar only have a cyber presence now :sad:. It's a bit of shame, I used to really enjoy going to Stockport having a nice chat and leaving with a new piece of glass!!!

Online shopping is just not the same (no offence FLO!!!)

Yes, Stockport telescope and binocular centre and Opticstar only have a cyber presence now :sad:. It's a bit of shame, I used to really enjoy going to Stockport having a nice chat and leaving with a new piece of glass!!!

Online shopping is just not the same (no offence FLO!!!)

Having known these guys at a personal level, I too share your disappointment. Unfortunately the ever present pressure to keep prices low and the terms and conditions placed upon these guys by the importers/agents does not make for running an economically viable showroom, hence the rather impersonal cyber only presence.

Regards,

A.G

If you can drive up to the Astronomy Centre, we have a large collection of telescopes which you could have a look at and even try if clear!   :smiley:

Thanks I will take you up on that offer at some point in the new year now.

As said stockport & opticstar are online only now, rother valley is about 30/40 mins from Manchester depending were you live & leeds is about 40mins up the dreaded M62 then you have to find the shop, I use to enjoy going to Opticstar  & chatting with peter & george I have bought things from RVO & they provide a friendly service can't say about the one in leeds.

being a relative newcomer i'd rather speak to people face to face & see & feel what i'm buying

Archived