Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_dslr_mirrorlesss_winners.thumb.jpg.9deb4a8db27e7485a7bb99d98667c94e.jpg

swag72

NGC2359 - Thors Helmet

Not wishing to start another thread - I thought I'd add the latest reprocess after a bit of a talking to, being told that my previous process was basically awful.

post-5681-0-38198100-1450901631_thumb.pn

If anyone wishes to give their thoughts on this process I'd be glad to hear them. Larger version here

• Like 3

Very nice re-processing job! Though similar they are noticeable different. The blue of the newest one is more "traditional" the teal of the original is very appealing too. It gives a nicer contrast, i think, to the red than the tradition blue.  You did a very nice job cleaning up the background noise in this new image. 

And please note I never thought the first one was awful(and i think most post would agree). I was just pointing out that I thought the noise was a bit higher than normal to the high quality pictures you post here. 

Edited by nmoushon

I do like the 'less processed' look of the new one but I think I'd like it to be a bit greener since this is one of those rare DS objects which probably is green!

Olly

@nmoushon - You didn't say it was awful......... That came from somewhere / someone else entirely. I'm grateful that you pointed out the noise by the way :) Interesting that you think there's less noise in this one as there's been no noise reduction in the outer area at all :)

Cheers Olly :) No green!!!

• Like 1

I like the second version better - to nitpick I have a couple comments

I like the colors a lot more, I think the softer blues on the helmet look great compared to the very contrast-y greens. I personally would darken the background a bit, it seems a bit bright

The first image I think did a better job pulling out the very faint periphery nebulae

It's easy to critique from the peanut gallery though, both renditions are great

Thanks guys for looking and commenting - I have no issue with nit picking at all :) I can always go back and look at a few things, so thanks for your thoughts @jtlandreneau

Why not green (this once!!  :grin: )? This isn't a reflection nebula and emission in blue is mostly limited to H beta, which traces much the same gasses as Ha (red) but much more feebly.

I do miss the green of version one. I think this object is green. Maybe not quite as insistently so as version one but well on the way. I plead for a compromise!!!

Olly

I did finally end up with something of a compromise I think! A little more green and a little less blue.

post-5681-0-69736800-1451163132_thumb.jp

Edited by swag72
  • Like 6

You're too good to us all sara. Redoing this 3 times now! Youve really out done yourself on this one. Though I will have to say I really do like this last rendition. I think you did a good job on the compromising of green n blue and still keeping the noise down. Again great job.

Magnificent, as always.  For what it's worth, I prefer v3.

Cheers guys - I really wanted to try to get this one better, I don't normally reprocess so many times!!! 

Not wishing to start another thread - I thought I'd add the latest reprocess after a bit of a talking to, being told that my previous process was basically awful.

I wish my processing was as awful as yours.

I wish my processing was as awful as yours.

I'm glad it was pointed out - I've learnt a lot from that comment about the original being a textbook example of how to ruin data!