Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

NGC2359 - Thors Helmet

swag72

Not wishing to start another thread - I thought I'd add the latest reprocess after a bit of a talking to, being told that my previous process was basically awful.

post-5681-0-38198100-1450901631_thumb.pn

If anyone wishes to give their thoughts on this process I'd be glad to hear them. Larger version here

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Very nice re-processing job! Though similar they are noticeable different. The blue of the newest one is more "traditional" the teal of the original is very appealing too. It gives a nicer contrast, i think, to the red than the tradition blue.  You did a very nice job cleaning up the background noise in this new image. 

And please note I never thought the first one was awful(and i think most post would agree). I was just pointing out that I thought the noise was a bit higher than normal to the high quality pictures you post here. 

@nmoushon - You didn't say it was awful......... That came from somewhere / someone else entirely. I'm grateful that you pointed out the noise by the way :) Interesting that you think there's less noise in this one as there's been no noise reduction in the outer area at all :)

Cheers Olly :) No green!!!

I like the second version better - to nitpick I have a couple comments

I like the colors a lot more, I think the softer blues on the helmet look great compared to the very contrast-y greens. I personally would darken the background a bit, it seems a bit bright

The first image I think did a better job pulling out the very faint periphery nebulae

It's easy to critique from the peanut gallery though, both renditions are great

Why not green (this once!!  :grin: )? This isn't a reflection nebula and emission in blue is mostly limited to H beta, which traces much the same gasses as Ha (red) but much more feebly.

I do miss the green of version one. I think this object is green. Maybe not quite as insistently so as version one but well on the way. I plead for a compromise!!!

Olly

You're too good to us all sara. Redoing this 3 times now! Youve really out done yourself on this one. Though I will have to say I really do like this last rendition. I think you did a good job on the compromising of green n blue and still keeping the noise down. Again great job.

Archived