Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

NGC2359 - Thors Helmet

swag72

This has been on my radar for some time, but while I've had the longer focal length scopes for a couple of years now, something always got in the way. This year I was determined to get it! 

The Avalon Linear Fast reverse mount continues to guide well with the ODK10 (but there's a new mount in the stable, so watch this space!) and the QSI683 is just divine!

Details:
Mount: Avalon Linear Fast reverse
Telescope: Orion Optics ODK10
Camera: QSI683 with Astrodon 3nm Ha and OIII filters

30x1800s Ha
25x1800s OIII

27.5 hours of total exposure

post-5681-0-35240100-1450442760_thumb.jp

You can see a larger version here as I expect the jpeg is compressed terribly :(

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is very nice! great detail too. Though the background seems a  bit...fuzzy...  Is it because it being so low on the horizon? Maybe its my computer screen.

Edit: Just saw the disclaimer under the pic...the compression could be the culprit too.

I've gotten used to your almost signature orange/blue narrowband emission processing, I was a bit thrown back by the coloring on this one. Looking at the emission spectrum for those elements though I think your coloring is spot on - to the point where I'm re-thinking how much green I should be killing when I use my Oiii filter

The framing is just about perfect - I'm going to have to add this to my growing list of things to shoot

Beautiful image Sara, one of my favourite targets but it's a bit low in the UK, and can only see it to about an hours or so between the trees in my garden.

27.5 hours of total exposure

You are very lucky with the amount of clear skies you get, I think we might have had a maximum of about 12 hours clear skies in total since September.

Carole  

This is a cracker but please, all, do look at the version in the link because the losses are bad on here.

It's very rare to see this captured decisively and given a bold, confident presence on the screen. We often see it struggling to make itself seen. Not here. Bold as brass! Lovely.

I gather Sara misses her ingeniously automated flips and intends to give me the new mount for Christmas. She's an  :angel4: !!!

:grin: lly

Thanks all for your comments - I will take a look at the noise levels - I thought that they were OK - Have you looked on the full version Pete?

This is still with the old mount. The new mount has made it onto the pier and has been aligned, so now the fun can begin. So this image was done with the dreaded flip intact :D

Can I also say that the mount is NOT mine, I am just testing it! It's due to be released in 2016.... but here's a picture...

post-5681-0-70503400-1450453905_thumb.jp

Beautiful image Sara, one of my favourite targets but it's a bit low in the UK, and can only see it to about an hours or so between the trees in my garden.

You are very lucky with the amount of clear skies you get, I think we might have had a maximum of about 12 hours clear skies in total since September.

Carole  

And we live in statistically the sunniest part of the country Carole, imagine what it's like for the rest of 'em?

Another cracking image Sara!

Hi Sara,

I know how much images suffer when uploading onto here so would not make a judgement based on this, so yes I was looking at the image via the link. I do think it's a fine image but my comment about the noise levels is just based on my own experiences with the 683 camera and shooting at long focal lengths. For me there is a liitle too much noise in places, Of course there will always be some to avoid losing detail but it just catches my eye here and there.

I know you appreciate honesty and I do worry about being critical as I am only too aware of how much time and effort goes into creating these images  Of course at the end of the day it's just my own opinion.

Keep up the great work Sara and boy do I envy the number of clear nights you seem to get!!!!

Regards

Pete

Thanks for your comments and many thanks Pete - I hope that people on here know well enough that I am ALWAYS open to any criticism, however harsh, as that is the only way I can learn and improve. I will certainly give that another look Pete - Thank you!

I do understand that it can sometimes be difficult to go against what others have said in a thread, so that it's good that you feel able to do so :) Your opinion is as valid as anyone else's :D

Cheers Barry :)

I know that some of you will think that I am too critical of my work, but this was slated yesterday as a text book example of how total over processing ruins an image ......To the guys credit he's got my data now and will be processing it in his style over the weekend ............ The jury is out.........

A very striking image Sara. Wonderful detail in what looks like a 'face'.

For some reason I thought that this was an exclusively northern hemisphere object but I see now that it is actually nice and high in the sky at the moment from down here at the bottom of the world. Do you know if it a worthwhile target with an unmodified DLSR?

Archived