Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Bresser AR102/1000 on EXOS 2?

Hi

I'm trying to choose a new scope.  I started with a Skywatcher Explorer 130P on the Synscan AZ GoTo mount years ago. I then bought an Orion XT10i dob, which I love, for the aperture and faint fuzzy abilities. Sessions with it are few and far between though but when it gets out to dark skies it's a treat.  But now I want to own a frac as well, something a bit more portable for 'everyday' use.

I already have an eyepiece collection, telrad, dew heaters etc built up over the years. But I will need a mount for the new frac, it'll be too heavy for that AZ GoTo.  The budget for both OTA and mount is around £500, hopefully.

i have a dob tent/observing tent that I hope to use with the frac's focuser/eyepiece actually being just inside the tent (not like the dob where the eyepieces are at the other end of the OTA so invariably you end up just outside not inside the thing! ).  Inescapable invasive street lighting is a major problem at home, where most observing will be done, so I'm looking forward to setting up just inside the obsy tent so that the eyepiece end at least be in total darkness.  Dew shields will help for the other end!  Point is, I'm thinking a longer rather than shorter OTA would be better.

If there were push-to mounts like the XT10i for a frac I'd get one right away.  it's great being able to just manually swing the scope round to any part of the sky so quickly, no set up to speak of.  Although the AZ GoTo mount worked perfectly well I didn't really care for the noise it made, waiting for it to slew and the faff sometimes involved getting star alignments done. The XT10i though meant I could either use that as a simple dob mount or do a quick alignment then use it as PushTo, with the mount handset indicating by arrows where to point the scope. No motors involved. As I'm not aware of such a mount for a frac I'm thinking of getting a simple EQ mount that can later be fitted with motors, handset etc to make it GoTo for those times I need or want computer assistance locating things.

The frac will be used mostly for visual observing, but I have an astro-adapted Philips webcam and a basic DSLR so may well try very simple AP. I actually have an EQ platform for the big dob so that might get some more use if I can set the frac up on it.

With all of the above in mind I'm considering the Bresser Refractor AR102/1000 on EXOS 2 mount. Scope not too big so will get more use (can be a pain hauling the big dob around the kitchen and garden).  Mount fine for now and could be motorised and made GoTo if I wanted. Does anyone have any advice, ideas, alternatives?  

Thanks in advance.

To

Sounds like a good combination to me!

However:

"If there were push-to mounts like the XT10i for a frac I'd get one right away.  it's great being able to just manually swing the scope round to any part of the sky so quickly, no set up to speak of."

Don't know if something ike the StarGuy Alt Az Pro mount might be what you're thinking:

http://www.vixenoptics.com/StarGuy-Alt-Az-Pro-Mount-p/sg5863p.htm

With the possiblility of motorised upgrade:

http://www.vixenoptics.com/StarGuy-Alt-Az-Pro-Motorized-p/sg5863m.htm

I've never seen or used these mounts, so not a recommendation - just to let you know they exist!

Archived