Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Powertank Recharge Recomendations

Hi everybody, I just replaced my celestron powertank's battery with an exact model (12v 7ah). The original battery was completely dead, because I didnt recharge it frecuently. Now that I learned my lesson :D, do you have any recharge recomendations?

I mean, if I don't have a chance to use the powertank, when should I recharge it again?

1 time every month in summer, and 1 time every 3 months in winter?

Even if I didn't use it?

Thanks!

The owner's manual that my powertank came with it (12v - 17 ah) says it should be plugged in for recharging every month at the same time - regardless of it's needing it, or you haven't so much as turned on the flashlight (torch). I do this at the same day each month and go away for the day. It can't be over-charged. Unless you plug it into a main from a hi-tension tower somewhere. :eek::p

Mine is Orion-USA branded. The 7 ah you have is the smaller one, whereas I sprang for the 17 ah model which weighs almost 20 pounds. If you want to drain the load out quickly, let it run a computer for awhile. You'll be amazed how fast the yellow recharge light appears! :grin:

Simply shocking -

ps - image is of the Celestron-branded one.

post-38438-0-40954400-1450241313.jpg

I charge at least once a month. I had to replace the 17Ah battery in my power tank, but used a 22Ah drop-in replacement, so I do not cycle the battery too deeply. Sealed lead-acid batteries do not take kindly to deep discharges, even the so-called deep-cycle types. I also stopped storing it in the unheated garage. Low temperatures also reduce battery life

All rechargable batteries need some form of cycling.

The company I work for supplies some portable equipment and we try and make clear that they cycle/recharge the battery on a regualr basis. Even the new battery powered cars should not be left unused for a certain period as it affects the life/performance of the battery....and they are expensive to replace.

All rechargable batteries need some form of cycling.

The company I work for supplies some portable equipment and we try and make clear that they cycle/recharge the battery on a regualr basis. Even the new battery powered cars should not be left unused for a certain period as it affects the life/performance of the battery....and they are expensive to replace.

It all depends on the type. Some batteries require regular deep cycling to avoid memory effects (Ni-Cd batteries were notorious in that sense). Many SLA batteries do not take kindly to that at all. In a sense, regular recharge is required in part due to internal discharge currents when the SLA battery is stored. Lithium batteries seem easiest in that respect: they do not seem to discharge very much at all, if my Metabo cordless drill is anything to go by.

I got caught out too with my first 17ah power tank - didn't charge for 6mths and it was flat as a pancake. Replaced with a 22ah one which I charge every 12wks (full 16hrs charge) when not in use - and after every session when in use (usually 8hrs charge). I do the same with a Maplins one also and neither have failed in 4yrs. :)

Archived