Setting circles

Gradually getting there with my skywatcher 200p ,I've ordered a Wixey for alt settings,next the a-z I've been on the Mac on and off all day trying to find/download a 360 deg marked circle,21.5"

Everyone says it's easy but can't find anything close ,the one that almost got there was setting circles.com but then it had the disc covered with ( you need gold access to copy this)

So I've found nothing useful,I would have thought the various telescope dealers would sell setting circles for an 8" dob , can't find any,so plan b is look for my felt tip pen or preferably one of you kind SGL MEMBERS could point me in the righ direction

Take care you lot

Gradually getting there with my skywatcher 200p ,I've ordered a Wixey for alt settings,next the a-z I've been on the Mac on and off all day trying to find/download a 360 deg marked circle,21.5"

Everyone says it's easy but can't find anything close ,the one that almost got there was setting circles.com but then it had the disc covered with ( you need gold access to copy this)

So I've found nothing useful,I would have thought the various telescope dealers would sell setting circles for an 8" dob , can't find any,so plan b is look for my felt tip pen or preferably one of you kind SGL MEMBERS could point me in the righ direction

Take care you lot

they sell felt tip pens in wh smiths and the like :grin:

Take care you lot

Unless your super accurate when you find a setting circle, either use a Felt tip pen as Faulksy mentioned, or get a Telrad and not only learn the sky as you slew about but find it fun at the same time.....

I added a setting circle to my SW Skyliner 200p along with other 'improvements' see http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/205732-my-sw-skyliner-200p-additions-and-modifications/

I'll send you a pm with the (pdf) file for the setting circle which you should have printed scaled to 470mm diameter (the file circle would print a little larger if left to its own devices).

.........I've often  read and thought about the various upgrades, for my Skyliner, but I keep finding reason not too!

I also decided that If I needed  to read  charts, books, setting circles,  EP focal lengths,  then my site is not  dark enough?  

Total darkness is almost impossible to achieve, but a good level of darkness can be achieved with some light shielding, or hiding inside my Dob-tent  :eek:

..............don't mention the weather?  I'm sure my toes have started to web this Year?

I thought I'd left all the bad weather behind me Years ago, after moving from the West coast of Scotland to the North East.

May have to see the quack to find a solution? 

And  almost changing the subject, noticing your avatar, I'm assuming you have an interest? but I saw a strange one the other day ( my first ?) turns out to be a bird called a  Dipper!

Not related to the Big One in the  Sky ( again - weather related restrictions on visibility)   so I`ll stop rambling.

Suffice to say, I did have another peek at flocking, but still can't decide.

Archived