Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Why is the Horsehead special?

Size9Hex

One of the main attractions of astronomy to me is the lack of competition Mike.

It would be nice to keep it that way IMHO.

your right john, just messing about, its not a race its a marathon (get there in the end) :smiley:

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The competition one is interesting.

There is undoubtably a certain kudos that goes with having spotted the HH. But the difference is that pretty much everyone who has seen it, wants to help other people achieve the same feat.

Paul

The competition one is interesting.

There is undoubtably a certain kudos that goes with having spotted the HH. But the difference is that pretty much everyone who has seen it, wants to help other people achieve the same feat.

Paul

Yes thats a very good point Paul.

Thats one of the great things about this forum - when folks succeed in something they share it to encourage others that it can be done and are always happy to share tips and wrinkles on how to do it :smiley:

I agree with Acey. It is a fabulous photographic target and the 'whole of Orion' image whch was more Tom's than mine is not the best way to see it. I did this with Yves a couple of years ago at an appropriate FL.

B33%20NGC2023%20sRGB%20WEB-L.jpg

I've 'seen' it three times in our half metre Newt but 'seen' is a euphemism for detecting that it's there. I don't think it is much of a visual object. The idea is to say that you've seen it's there - and that's not really what gives me a buzz in visual observing. I like saying 'Wow!!'

Olly

I agree with Acey. It is a fabulous photographic target and the 'whole of Orion' image whch was more Tom's than mine is not the best way to see it. I did this with Yves a couple of years ago at an appropriate FL.

I've 'seen' it three times in our half metre Newt but 'seen' is a euphemism for detecting that it's there. I don't think it is much of a visual object. The idea is to say that you've seen it's there - and that's not really what gives me a buzz in visual observing. I like saying 'Wow!!'

Olly

I was looking at the pic in the Observer';s book today - taken with the scope at Mt. Palomar. Palomar has marginally more detail (a wisp on top of the snout, for example) and smaller stars, but less contrast so some of the detail is harder to see and of course it's in B&W.

But the fact that a backyard observatory (albeit a well equipped one) can shake a stick at the pre-digital achievements of a 200-inch  scope is pretty amazing.

Olly

That's a fabulous picture, Olly, not many pictures got that bright star in NGC2023 so clearly :thumbright:  :smiley:

The fact that it i s such a distinctive shape I believe is one of the attractions.

I don't believe it's a test of skill so much as a test of ones observing conditions. A large scope at a good dark site makes it possible. A small scope in a city is not going to see it regardless of how good the observer. 

I know many good observers that have not seen it due to the simple fact they haven't gone somewhere dark enough to give themselves a realistic chance. 

I saw it from a pretty good site with a visible naked eye limit around mag 6. I used  a 20" Dob and an H-Beta filter. I don't believe any other skilled observer would have missed it if they were there with me. IOW mine was not a great achievement IMHO. I just had a big scope under a pretty dark sky. 

Good hunting all :)

I suppose you could ask why the Orion Nebula is so popular or why people look at double stars or small features on planets and the moon; or why do people flock to see the Mona Lisa. I think it's that we like things that are renowned for whatever reason, a challenge or beautiful or even just to develop a 'list' of things. 

I agree with Acey. It is a fabulous photographic target and the 'whole of Orion' image whch was more Tom's than mine is not the best way to see it.

Sterling work on the whole of Orion image. I hadn't seen it before starting this topic. The more I look, the more astonishing it gets!

Well, I think its never boring watching threads/posts about people searching for new objects for themselves :smiley: There are always new objects to find and no matter how hard we try we will never see everything :laugh: Me I'm still tryin' to see the Jellyfish..... :grin:

Good luck with that Gerry, looking forward to hearing about any attempts and outcomes, whether failures and perhaps eventual successes. 

The fact that it i s such a distinctive shape I believe is one of the attractions.

I don't believe it's a test of skill so much as a test of ones observing conditions. A large scope at a good dark site makes it possible. A small scope in a city is not going to see it regardless of how good the observer. 

I know many good observers that have not seen it due to the simple fact they haven't gone somewhere dark enough to give themselves a realistic chance. 

I saw it from a pretty good site with a visible naked eye limit around mag 6. I used  a 20" Dob and an H-Beta filter. I don't believe any other skilled observer would have missed it if they were there with me. IOW mine was not a great achievement IMHO. I just had a big scope under a pretty dark sky. 

That's a good point. The HH (and many other targets) are good indications of sky conditions.  The HH is one of those targets where people have tried with 20" scopes on less than perfect nights and not seen it where others have managed it with 6" scopes. if you lived on top of a big mountain in a dry place it probably wouldn't be a big deal.

A question: would anyone have thought to call it the Horsehead had photography never been invented? It was a photographic discovery (by Williamina Fleming in 1888). While it is certainly sufficiently Horsehead-like photographically, has anyone seen it sufficiently well to think that they might have named it this way from a purely visual observation? Beware the psychological power of suggestion...

Olly

Edit. Here's a link to the discovery plate. http://www.jtrforums.com/showthread.php?t=4934

Well, I think its never boring watching threads/posts about people searching for new objects for themselves :smiley: There are always new objects to find and no matter how hard we try we will never see everything :laugh: Me I'm still tryin' to see the Jellyfish..... :grin:

This might help you with the Jellyfish. But note it's size relative to M35. You'd need that bright adjacent star out of the field as well. https://ollypenrice.smugmug.com/Other/Best-of-Les-Granges/i-zfx3wdB/A

Olly

A question: would anyone have thought to call it the Horsehead had photography never been invented? It was a photographic discovery (by Williamina Fleming in 1888). While it is certainly sufficiently Horsehead-like photographically, has anyone seen it sufficiently well to think that they might have named it this way from a purely visual observation? Beware the psychological power of suggestion...

Olly

Edit. Here's a link to the discovery plate. http://www.jtrforums.com/showthread.php?t=4934

Good point Olly and an interesting link :smiley:

I guess the "Extremely Obscure Dark Notch Nebula" would not be as iconic  :smiley: 

I think it is an achievement to put in the commitment to building up observing skills and lugging a big scope out to dark skies on the right night.  Also, a big scope could be quite a big financial investment.  :)  :)

Once up a time the Veil nebula was seen a significant challenge object...how times change!!

Good hunting and dark, transparent skies (fat chance at the moment...)!

Paul

Archived