Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

The British Space Programme

spike95609

The government has published a National Space Policy which you can read at https://www.gov.uk/government/news/national-space-policy-science-fiction-in-to-science-fact

While it's a bit vague on actual details it does talk about supporting the growing commercial space sector which apparently is worth £11 billion to the UK economy at the moment, by 2030 they'd like to increase that to £40 billion and secure a 10% stake in the global market, employing 100,000 people. Sounds impressive, I'd like to see it.

To be fair we do still do a lot of engineering (quite a bit of the James Webb telescope was built here), so we have the people, we just need more.  Hopefully, Tim Peake's blasting off today to ISS will add some momentum.  Fingers crossed!

British Space programme !? You must be joking ! OK, let's put it to good use, here's a little game for Christmas. It's based on the Famous Five and it's for the first manned mission to Pluto, so which five famous Brits (living) would you nominate? In other words, who would you most like to see the back of !!?

When I read this -

"The Government is publishing the UK’s first ever National Space Policy – firmly placing the UK on the global stage for future space programmes."

I could not help thinking of this - Hyperdrive (TV series)

"The crew of the HMS Camden Lock have an important mission: to protect the interests of Great Britain in and ever-changing galaxy."   :grin:

To be fair we do still do a lot of engineering (quite a bit of the James Webb telescope was built here), so we have the people, we just need more.  Hopefully, Tim Peake's blasting off today to ISS will add some momentum.  Fingers crossed!

According to the back of  my envelope, he's got a momentum of rather more than half a mega-newton second.

Archived