Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_30_second_exp_2_winners.thumb.jpg.b5430b40547c40d344fd4493776ab99f.jpg

Jonk

Principia mission - Tim Peake Soyuz launch live online

If you can't get to a TV for today's launch, you can watch it live online, the main stream being here:

http://www.esa.int/Our_Activities/Human_Spaceflight/Principia/Principia_live

The launch is scheduled for 11:03.

Good luck to Twin Peakes!

They will also return at 17:00 for the docking and welcome ceremony / news conference  due at 17:23.

• Like 8

Yup - fabulous launch - and so clear you could clearly see the solid rocket boosters separating :)

Great heads up Jonk, watched BBC and the ESA links at the same time, it was brilliant,

it's back on the BBC at 7 tonight.

Great launch. I was also impressed by the way one of the astronauts was happily scribbling notes shortly after launch! I thought they would be stuck to their seats with all of that G force. I guess I have watched too many Hollywood movies :grin:

• Like 1

surprisingly @Droogie 2001, the g's only reach around 2-3. No worse than my daughters driving really :).

It was an exceptional experience to watch this and it seens that every launch we are privy to more and more footage. to be able to watch these guys experience what mush surely be the experience of a lifetime is truelly a privelige. Hats off to ESA/NASA

• Like 2

Watched it on TV :)  Wondeful :)  Have to say it's great to see this international cooperation after all those years of the Cold War :)  Warms the heart :)

• Like 2

I felt really emotional. It must be an amazing thing if you are actually watching from the site!

• Like 1

I felt really emotional. It must be an amazing thing if you are actually watching from the site!

It's on my 'bucket list' to see a rocket launch one day. Perhaps when the US finally launch their biggy I'll go over.

• Like 1

I know someone who was in Florida when a shuttle launch was scheduled. Unfortunately he assumed that it would not be visible and watched it in his hotel room on TV. He then went outside for fresh air and saw a long, vertical trail in the sky and immediately realised his error - tears certainly followed!

Great launch and a very cool performance from Tim and the other crew members - lots of "thumbs up" from Tim - you could see the grin through his visor :smiley:

It's on my 'bucket list' to see a rocket launch one day. Perhaps when the US finally launch their biggy I'll go over.

Me too Stu. I've been to Kennedy Space Centre quite a few times but I only managed to catch a shuttle landing which is really not spectacular apart from the sonic boom as it comes in.

Absolutely splendid!

However, what has driven me nuts, is all the tradition and superstitious nonsense that has gone with it.

There's nothing worse than a bad tradition.

If we're relying on someone piddling on a tyre to get us to space then heaven help us! 

The final approach and docking is live now on nasa's website.

Manual docking - slightly tense I felt.

• Like 1

2-3g maybe, but the side to side wobble just at lift off must have been stomach churning!

I laughed at the way they got out of the bus and stood on their painted squares! Must have been rehearsed and choreographed with help from the Bolshoi!

Hope we get plenty of updates from Tim.

Feel sorry for Helen Sharman who many news outlets seem to have forgotten about.

....Feel sorry for Helen Sharman who many news outlets seem to have forgotten about.

And Michael Foale ?