Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

EOS 1000D, Baader MPCC and OAG - how to connect this together?

yesyes

Hi,

So far I have been imaging unguided with a Canon EOS 1000D with a Baader MPCC connected directly to the EOS T-Ring and the 2" focuser.

I wanted to start guiding so I bought an off-axis guider. But now I'm struggling to put this all together. Here is what I have:

post-2143-0-35273600-1450124888_thumb.jp

In the back row (left to right) we have a 2" barrel that screws into the scope side of teh OAG. This has a thread larger than a T-Thread (the same thread as the bigger one on the camera side of the MPCC) and 4 T-Mount extensions of various lengths.

In the front row is the low profile EOS T-Ring, the MPCC with a light pollution filter and the OAG.

Now, I read that the MPCC must have a certain distance from the image sensor. I believe that is the distance when I attach the MPCC directly to the T-Ring.

If I do that, I don't see a way to attach the OAG to the front of the MPCC (the MPCC has a 2" filter thread at the front).

I can connect the OAG to the camera but need to use a T extension (otherwise the EOS flash and release button are in the way). But then I don't see a way to use the MPCC any more. I could use the MPCC in front of the OAG but it hits the prism before it's screwed all the way in and it would be too far from the camera sensor?

Has anyone got a similar setup that works? Do I need even more adapters? Or can't this be done this way?

Why are there so many different sizes of threads??? (rhetorical question...)

This comes to mind: The good thing about standards is that there are so many to choose from! ;-)

The back focus on the MPCC is 55mm, which means it has to sit right on the DSLR, a CCD has less back focus around 13mm so you could use this space to get this working.....but it does require a CCD

Edited by Tinker1947

You'd probably want to go for a "Lacerta Off Axis Guider - for Canon EOS cameras", which is basically a T2-EOS adapter with a built-in OAG. I'm considering getting one at the moment, and the comments seem to indicate it's of good quality. Prism position is limited, though.

Hmmm, that one is quite pricey. I could buy a separate guide scope for that price.

It seems I bought stuff again without enough research. Does anyone need an as-new OAG? :D

I use the MPPC with Atik Filter Wheel and Atik CCD the guiding is done by a ST-80/Lodestar though, for spacers there's nothing better than the Baader Vari-lock they do 2 sizes with less than the thickness of a hair adjustment......

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/adapters/baader-varilock-46-lockable-t-2-extension-tube.html

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/adapters/baader-varilock-29-lockable-t-2-extension-tube.html

I use the MPPC with Atik Filter Wheel and Atik CCD the guiding is done by a ST-80/Lodestar though, for spacers there's nothing better than the Baader Vari-lock they do 2 sizes with less than the thickness of a hair adjustment......

The op was asking how to fit an oag to a dslr with an mpcc, Tinker! I don't think he can afford, or wants to spend on, a ccd...

Louise

• Like 1

Indeed. ;-)

A CCD is rather high up on my wish list but it will have to wait a while longer. There is still a lot to be learned about imaging with a DSLR. I might eventually go into narrowband imaging with a CCD to get around some of the light pollution here. I'll just keep that OAG until then and use a separate guide scope for now.

• Like 1

The op was asking how to fit an oag to a dslr with an mpcc, Tinker! I don't think he can afford, or wants to spend on, a ccd...

Louise

i think i pointed out you can only have a DSLR and MPPC there's no room for other stuff, the CCD route give you a bit of space.....

• 3 weeks later...

Your space with the Orion will be 65mm thats 10mm over the required space, if it works well done, it it doesn't then keep the packaging to send it back , i have tried 2 OAG's in the past, gave up trying to find stars with them in the end, use a ST-80 and lodestar now, so many stars to choose from..... :headbang:

hmmm, are you sure that's true?

I've done a bit of "research", though I'm not sure I understand this all correctly, so I don't mind being proven wrong here... ;-)

The EOS 1000D has an EF-S lens mount which has a flange focal distance of 44.0 mm (source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canon_EF-S_lens_mount )

The Orion TOAG adds 10.5mm to the optical path. So it is my understanding that the total would be 54.5mm; perfect for the Baader MPCC. The TOAG seems to even come with a 3mm extension for coma correctors (may be for other CC models?)

The EOS adapter that comes with the TOAG might add a few millimetres though. It's not mentioned in the description how much, but from the looks of it I doubt it is much.

That's what I suspected. It's 44mm plus 11mm or so for a standard T-ring. So I should be fine with this OAG I hope. It seems it was designed for this specific purpose and it says it would work with coma correctors and it comes with an EOS adapter. I shall find out when it arrives.

Come to think of it... This might also explain why I still see some coma now even with the MPCC. I'm using one of these very slim EOS T-rings that don't add anything to the length. So it is too close at the moment.

• 4 years later...