Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Jupiter and 4 Moons

Aussie Dave

My first attempt last night at Jupiter and some of its moons. Overexposed and my alignment wasn't 100% but happy with what I got with a couple of test shots. There were 2 other moons much further out on either side I think but couldn't get them all on the Nikons sensor.

post-40030-0-80347700-1450078501.png

Some of the other moons are possible to capture, but they're very faint. I have managed Himalia, one of the brightest of the smaller ones at 15th magnitude, with my CCD and f4.7 Newtonian. Amalthea is brighter, but so close to Jupiter that it's lost in the glare. The others are all 17 magnitude or much fainter.

Not wishing to hijack the thread, but here's my picture of Himalia to give you an idea what to expect.

The massive blob in the middle is Jupiter, the bright 'star' to its lower left is Callisto, the one nearly touching the glare on the upper right is Ganymede. Io and Europa are lost in the glare. All the other objects, apart from Himalia, are stars.

10907562313_682f448d76_b.jpg

Nah Luke all good, it's all relevant info.

I can't believe how small and faint Himalia is and if I did see it, I wouldn't recognise it as a moon. I don't think I could  see that in my 8" scopes. It definitely wasn't other moons I saw then and they were stars. They were much brighter and bigger than Himalia.

Archived