Hello from a North Norfolk new guy.

MARS1960

Hi All,

My name is Mark and i have been lurking for a couple of months, basically gathering info on what i need to start astrophotography.

I have been a keen wildlife photographer for about 5 years.

Recently i decided to buy a Nikon P900 and got some great photo's of the moon, this has stirred my interest.

I think i have now, after about 50hrs of reading, decided (and changing my mind about as many times) on a Skywatcher ED80 Pro and a second hand CG5 advanced GT mount.

I will be using (initially) a Canon 60D that i bought specifically because of the 640x480 sensor crop, i will initally be doing what you guys term as "lucky imaging".

Apart from that i really am pretty clueless but with the book (making every photon count) that my partner is buying me for Christmas and the help of you guys and girls i can soon get started

on my new found hobby.

I look forward to learning from and chatting with you all.

Mark.

Hi Mark and welcome to SGL - I'm glad that you're getting the book..... don't buy a thing though until you've read it through and understand what you need and why. 

I personally would say that if you can, to stretch to an HEQ5 over the EQ5 mount. It will make imaging a much more enjoyable and less frustrating experience. Sure there are people that image with the EQ5 - There's a thread on here about what can be achieved - but when people get the opportunity they move to an HEQ5. So I guess what I'm saying is that if you can, start from the best place and learn with the best equipment that you can.

Look forward to seeing you around :)

Welcome to SGL. I am in West Winch...where are you in N. Norfolk?

The ED80 is a very good OTA and one that gets good results .

This too is a very good book. Bought mine second hand of Amazon and it was in pristine condition.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Astrophotography-Thierry-Legault/dp/1937538435/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1450091938&sr=1-2&keywords=astrophotography

Thanks for the warm welcome guys.

@swag72, thanks but too late lol. i know i know, but i couldnt resist the used CG5 advanced GT synscan on ebay before it sold, i was told the tripod is the same as the HEQ5, and just bought an ED80 DS PRO and accessories from RVO.

@ baggywrinkle, just moved from Sheringham to N Walsham, i see there is a sky camp at Kelling in April which i hope to attend, meet some people and learn some more.

@Fenlandpaul, i wish, it's been nothing but clouds these past two weeks, really dissapointing as i was hoping to see the Geminids meteor shower :(

Time to do some more research, i just bought a 2x super de-lux Barlow for planets but i think i should have bought a 4x powermate :(

Mark.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Archived