Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

TAL 125 Apolar

Marki

have often thought  a very nice frac would be a a 120ED but given the "TAL look" professionally repainted in Mercedes white high gloss with black tube rings and objective housing.............

Good luck with getting a happy outcome with this and happy xmas 

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks Jules - I'm pretty much decided on the ED120 (in Equinox guise) is what I'm after - means splashing out a wee bit more, but from all I've read the optics are really worth it (plus I loved the fit and finish of the equinox 80 I had). I can always add things like reducers etc. later on as I get a bit more proficient with the old picture taking ;).

Happy Christmas to you and yours too :).

Hello Marki,

I used to have a Tal 125R and it was very sharp - I knew that instantly.

It sounds to me like you did not get that first impression with the 125 Apolar so probably a good thing you returned it.

Hope all goes well with the new scope........

Thanks Jules - I'm pretty much decided on the ED120 (in Equinox guise) is what I'm after - means splashing out a wee bit more, but from all I've read the optics are really worth it (plus I loved the fit and finish of the equinox 80 I had). I can always add things like reducers etc. later on as I get a bit more proficient with the old picture taking ;).

Happy Christmas to you and yours too :).

I would buy a ED120 and put a moonlight on it. Did the focusers ever get any better on the Equinox? There were some dodgy reports when they first came out, that and the bubbling silver plastic bits.

Hi Fiery Jack

I've been in contact with the supplier (Widescreen Centre) and am swapping for the Equinox 120. I did read about some of the early problems with focussers etc, but the focusser on the equinox 80mm I had a couple of years ago exhibited no issues at all. Also the silver bit didn't seem plastic to me - I thought it was chromed metal of some sort. I was very impressed by the fit and finish overall (as well as the excellent optics).

Its a shame really. I'd have liked to have had an Apolar in good working order. I had a chance to get my 125r achro out just before Christmas hols (just after my last post in this thread) and effectively do a side by side test. Obviously the Apolar was better colour corrected, but the 125r  was distinctly sharper to focus, especially approaching higher mags. Being much less complex and with less glass inside it cooled more quickly and I felt had marginally better light transmission (maybe less glass again) with brighter images as a result - although that could also be a result of the apolar being out of whack somewhere. Anyway, this brief test just reinforced the negative impression of the apolar from the earlier testing I had undertaken. Having said that, I reckon these would be great scopes when properly aligned etc - its just seems they don't make the long journey from Siberia very well :(.

Anyway, its been an interesting process, and if nothing else I've learnt a lot about star-testing, optics and various aberrations etc. Hopefully the Equinox will arrive soon (and the rain will go away) and I can apply what I've learnt to that too! Thanks to all who have contributed to this thread!

I'm sure you will enjoy the Equinox 120 Mark - I love my ED120 Pro :smiley:

It is a shame about the Apolar. I agree that the optical design had great promise and achieved virtually no CA without the need for exotic glasses. It's just keeping the separate 3 elements precisely aligned with each other thats the challenge and a long overland journey can't help that  :sad: 

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks guys. Equinox arrived today. Been out an hour or so already, although cloud is a bit irritating. Will post my review in a new thread soon! Looking good so far - shame the seeing isn't too steady tonight though. Quick question for you ed120 owners - is the field of view flat the whole way to the edge? I'm seeing distinct curvature in the outer 10-20 percent - normal? Images in the centre look spot on now its well cooled though.

Archived