SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

X-Cel LX 5mm vs BST Starguider 5mm

DevonSkies

Hi,

I'm looking for a ~5mm EP for splitting close double stars on my f/4.7 scope. I was looking at the Celestron X-Cel LX 5mm but then I spotted a few negative comments about this EP on the web. So now I am maybe considering the BST Starguider 5mm as an alternative?

I already have the BST 8mm, 15mm and 25mm EPs. The BST 25mm was a big mistake (awful field curvature on my f/4.7 scope) but the others seem ok to my novice eye. I am going to replace the BST 25mm with the X-Cel LX 25mm.

Any comments on the above mentioned 5mm EPs, or recommendations for good alternatives in the same price range (£50-£60 preferably).

Cheers,

Ed

The Starguiders are good for f/5 and slower, so there may be some issues towards the field edge on your scope unless  some correction is applied. It just depends on how it affects your view, and at what stage it becomes unacceptable? ( its really not an issue for an f/6 scope :grin:  but  for faster scopes, its the reason I looked into buying Delos eyepieces to use in my new 300P scope ( a scope that  is still just a thought at present ).

With my present scope the field edge doesn't really bother me, as I can track very well and generally view everything on axis. My Delos may change this scenario?

Can you Barlow your 8mm Starguider ( and/or the 15 )  just to see how that fares in the scope, then decide if the 5mm would  be suitable for your requirements?

I needed something with a larger field of view over my 25mm Starguider simply to view M31 ( I have no  issues for general use ) so opted for the 72°afov PanaView. 

The Starguiders are good for f/5 and slower, so there may be some issues towards the field edge on your scope unless  some correction is applied. It just depends on how it affects your view, and at what stage it becomes unacceptable? ( its really not an issue for an f/6 scope :grin:  but  for faster scopes, its the reason I looked into buying Delos eyepieces to use in my new 300P scope ( a scope that  is still just a thought at present ).

With my present scope the field edge doesn't really bother me, as I can track very well and generally view everything on axis. My Delos may change this scenario?

Can you Barlow your 8mm Starguider ( and/or the 15 )  just to see how that fares in the scope, then decide if the 5mm would  be suitable for your requirements?

I needed something with a larger field of view over my 25mm Starguider simply to view M31 ( I have no  issues for general use ) so opted for the 72°afov PanaView. 

The 8mm has a built in barlow lens at the base, same as the 5mm

Many eyepieces that have long eye relief and / or a wide field of view use a lower lens set, usually located in the eyepiece barrel, in their design. I don't think I've come across a design that would not barlow reasonably well although the useability of longer eye relief eyepieces is not always helped by having the eye relief further extended, which is a side effect of using a barlow lens. Also, eyepieces with large diameter field stops can have their field of view vignetted to some extent by a barlow lens.

A 6mm EP might be a safer option.

I have the 5mm X-Cel LX and find it great in the 200p (only f5.9).

However, it only comes out on the steadiest of nights.

The 6mm WO SPL gets far more use.

The barlowing option might be a good idea if you have anything that will result in a comparable focal length/magnification.

You could test the 8mm with a barlow on the moon, not sure much else would take that magnification.

Have fun. :)

I have both the XCel-LX and BST Starguider 5mms.

My 2p. The 5mm BST is better as it produces "tighter" stars than the 5mm XCel-LX.

Maybe the 5mm is not up to par as the rest of the XCel-LX range as I sold the rest of my BSTs after doing a "head to head" with XCel-LXs  in my 4 'scopes.

Not sure why I've kept the 5mm XCel?!

I have owned both, I thought they were both very good eps to be honest. The X-CEL LX had an annoying issue with the eyecups becoming un-stuck. Other than that the Celestron have an over all better build and I found a little more comfortable at the eyepiece. Either would serve you well, its the 25mm that is the weak BST

• 4 weeks later...

I own the Celestron 5mm X-Cel eyepiece and use it in my 8" SCT. It has a high power in my SCT and there for its only usable on the clearest nights, but when I do get to use it, it does deliver some great views, especially of Mars, Jupiter, Saturn, the moon and I've even used it on Orion Nebula, M43 & Trapezium and the Carina nebula. I haven't used the BST so I can't compare to it, just vouch for the X-Cel

Archived