Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

stargazine_ep34_banner.thumb.jpg.28dd32d9305c7de9b6591e6bf6600b27.jpg

Pankaj

STAR VANISHES IN ORION IF COMPARED IN TWO PHOTOS

This sounds like far too many pixels to me (for anythng but a very short FL). Having undersized pixels is a disadvantage once they give a resolution which falls below what the seeing and guiding will allow - and this soon happens. High pixel counts may be good in the daytime but in AP they should be matched sensibly to the focal length.

Fascinating find by the OP and Stu. Great stuff.

Olly

Hi Olly. Great to have your comments here. If you remember, I bought most of my AP equipment (excl the current camera  :laugh: ) basis your advice. Believe me, every bit of your advice helped. I have still not started guiding. When I started AP (after 18 years of visual observation), I started with 30-45 sec exposures. Today after nailing a perfect polar alignment, I can take exposures till 4-5 minutes. Before the start of summers, I will take my next step into guiding. At that time I'll change the camera aswell. Will get in touch with you again at that time. Ciao.

This sounds like far too many pixels to me (for anythng but a very short FL). Having undersized pixels is a disadvantage once they give a resolution which falls below what the seeing and guiding will allow - and this soon happens. High pixel counts may be good in the daytime but in AP they should be matched sensibly to the focal length.

Fascinating find by the OP and Stu. Great stuff.

Olly

Hi Olly,

'OP' would mean what ?

Do you realize that you are talking Astro Photography here not daytime snapping. My Atik 314L+ has a sensor of 1.4 MP, and it is still going strong. What on earth makes you think that you need 24 MP for any reason? Before you answer this let me tell you that I was and still am a Technical Photographer for the last 30 years so I do know a thing or two about photography. Use what ever is at your disposal but forget the MP measure of a camera as a yard stick for quality, that one comes from you. For your information the size of the sensor on the deep space camera  of the Hubble Scope Telescope is 800 X 800 pixels square. Now that is food for thought isn't it?

Kind Regards,

A.G

A bit unfair - the message you're replying to was a response to "I am looking to get a DSLR for christmas.  We want to take this on a holiday to Sri Lanka, but also to double up as an AP camera.  How would you rate the 1200D for that purpose?"

• Like 3