Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Best 10 x 50 Binoculars under £150

Bioboybill

Hi,

I am looking to get some 10 x 50 Binoculars early in the New Year. I have read discussions on here, and had a look at the brilliant site Binocular Sky.

At the moment I am leaning towards either the Pentax S Series 10 x 50 WP bins, which retail at £149 http://www.firstlightoptics.com/pentax-binoculars/pentax-sp-50mm-wp-binoculars.html (although I have seen as cheap as £109), the Helios Stellar II 10 x 50 bins, which retail at £129   http://www.firstlightoptics.com/helios/helios-stellar-ii-50mm-wp-binoculars.html, or the cheaper Helios Naturesport Plus 10 x 50 bins, which seem very reasonable at £79. http://www.firstlightoptics.com/helios/helios-naturesport-plus-50mm-binoculars.html

I wonder if anybody with experience with these can suggest which would be the best for me to buy? I know some will maybe persuade me I'd be better getting 15 x 70s or even bigger, but I have pretty much decided I don't want anything too heavy to hold for prolonged periods. I just want something I can grab and use at a moment's notice without having to mess with monopods or tripods.

I can see that the Pentax bins are probably better quality  than the Helios Naturesport ones, but not so sure about the Helios Stellar II bins. Then again the Naturesports are almost half the price. Do I need to spend £150, or is there really not that much in it. On the other hand are there better bins under £150 I haven't considered?

Your thoughts would be appreciated.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

(Thanks for the complimentary comment on  my website :grin:)

I've reviewed the Pentax (here) and am currently reviewing the Stellar II (intending to publish before the end of this month). I used to own a Naturesport (old model) and just didn't like it - but others love it; very lightweight.

The advantages for astronomy of the Stellar II are the individual eyepiece focusing and the wider field of view (6.5* vs 5*), It also has better lens caps (tethered). On everything else, the Pentax wins. It has better coatings, better eyecups, much better control of stray light, a larger flat & sharp field of view. The locking focus is remarkably useful and, being centre-focus they'd be easier to use for birds, racing, etc. The Stellar II is not a bad binocular and is good value for money, but the Pentax is outstanding value for money at the price FLO/TBS are doing it. (BTW, are you sure that the one you saw for £109 was the WP version? - there is also a cheaper "just SP" one).

You ask "is there really not that much in it?"  There is a heck of a lot in it. If I was in your position and had £150 to spend on a 10x50, I'd snap up the Pentax without hesitation. Only one caveat: binoculars can be very personal (see my Naturesport comments above); you may find, with any binocular, that you just don't get on with it.

Edit: I should add that the Stellar II is described as "waterproof", which has no legal definition; the Pentax is "Waterproof to JIS6" which has a very clear definition.

+1 for the Pentax..I have the 12x50 version and although the recent weather has limited my changes to use them, I am very impressed.

In particular, the contrast and good sharpness out to c 80% of the field is impressive and I too like the focus lock feature now that I'm used to it.

Solid, quality build. At x12 mag on mine I prefer mine on a trigger grip mount but at x10 fine for hand holding..

Steve, I got mine on a well known auction site brand new for £106 about a month or so ago and yes, they are definitely the SP WPIl waterproof version:-)..amazing value!

Dave

I have purchased binoculars from the  website!  I was not happy with the finished quality of my Nikon 10x50  Extremes ( especially after further comparison from a Nikon retailer ) and did not receive a UK warranty, which lead me to believe I may have been sold a grey/parallel import, which implies not imported by Nikon?

As a devotee to Nikon, all my photographic gear is sourced through genuine authorised outlets.

Also note, many folk have been completely satisfied with the service from this store, and yes,  you could return for a replacement or repair to their own workshops.

The prices are cheaper for a reason?

Caveat Emptor

I use a pair of Elinor 10x50  . I got them after seeing a good r/v on S@N  and available  under £150  if you shop around

Mark

I think the Strathspey 10x50 WP (waterproof) are the same as Ostara Elinors.

http://www.strathspey.co.uk/shop/10x50wp.html

Pretty good binos by all account and cheaper as far as I can see than the Elinors but I'm sure I've read somewhere that the true aperture is less than 50mm  but they are certainly not alone in that respect. That said, if you can afford the Pentaxs they would be a good buy.

.......for £6 more the Marine 10x50s are a sound investment too. More robust with their Mil-Spec rating, and don't be put of by the IF focusing (the depth of view is amazing) but could be a little tricky following Wrens around your garden patch?

I used them one night, then the next during daylight, I did not need to touch the IF ( individual Focus)  eyepieces, and everything just looked amazing.

+1 Some things are so highly rated, then simply  forgotten, when the replacement arrives, sometimes of less quality than the former?  The PCF WP II's were on my list for my entire search procedure. The Marine 10x50s were actually No1, then the PCF? but compare the reports of either, and the PCFs shone through in most cases. Try before you buy, the marine 10x50s are brilliant ( my eyes ).

There are so many items I have owned in the past, only  wish I still had them. My new motto is " I'd rather have something and not use it, than to need something and not have it?" so I don't give/throw too many items away, rather keep them in waterproof storage, away from any damaging conditions. 

Steve T. has  already given  a good report on the newer variants.

.......for £6 more the Marine 10x50s are a sound investment too. More robust with their Mil-Spec rating,

They are very sharp, but this is achieved by stopping them down internally to a mere 41mm. They do a 40mm variant which, according to Holger Merlitz, is not internally stopped: 1mm less aperture for a huge reduction in weight...

When I reviewed those after I first got them (a review on the Strathspey site and on CN is mine), I was unaware of the extent of the "internal stopping" phenomenon which, as we now know, is rife. (I expressed it in the review as "no part of the exit pupil is fully illuminated by the aperture".) They are certainly sharp, but a true 10x50 is noticeably brighter.

The so-called mil-spec may be overstated as well. Mine, which live in my car and are also used for youngsters to use unsupervised at public stargazing events (*) developed the dreaded double image a couple of years ago - easy enough to remedy, but unexpected.

* The best way for them to learn is to experiment without feeling that someone is looking critically over their shoulder. "This is how you use them. Try not to touch any glass. If anything seems wrong, don't try to fix it, but bring it to me; I won't be cross with you. Bring them back when you're done."

I think the Strathspey 10x50 WP (waterproof) are the same as Ostara Elinors.

http://www.strathspey.co.uk/shop/10x50wp.html

Pretty good binos by all account and cheaper as far as I can see than the Elinors but I'm sure I've read somewhere that the true aperture is less than 50mm  but they are certainly not alone in that respect.

They are the same. The effective aperture is about 44mm. I've compared them side-by-side with the marines: they are as sharp, but brighter.  They also suffer from focus lag. This is a result of the waterproofing O-rings doing their job properly: the eyepeice tubes move more slowly than the centre-focus spindle because of O-ring drag. This can make them difficult to focus critically. I also wonder (but have no idea) how much dry nitrogen is expelled when you  focus inwards and how much ambient air gets in when you focus outwards.

Regarding Pentax binoculars, can I diplomatically recommend if you see any dealer claiming to offer genuine UK stock at unusually low prices, contact Pentax-Ricoh UK and ask them if it is legit'.

Thank you for stating that, Steve. I was struggling (& failing) to find a way of expressing that general principle in a non-inflammatory manner.

Edit: Typos

Whoops! Didn't mean to upset anybody with that link to EBay.

Looking a bit closer it does appear that those bins are indeed grey imports, so the UK warranty wouldn't apply. That would put me off to be fair. I once bought a video camera that was a grey import, and when I had a problem several months later I was snookered.

Its a horrible name, but grey imports often end up as the real item, their just not through the recognised channels,  and if something goes wrong, you'll have to face the consequences or send them overseas to achieve warranty repair, at your own cost,  that is, if the original paperwork was completed  at the sale and accepted at repair? If nothing goes wrong, then you may have a bargain. 

Not sure you've upset anyone,  regarding the link, as this thread has similar connotations in another thread about the same subject and retailer. There are still many folk satisfied with their  business product, its why  I was tempted in the first place, by the low prices.

Having said that, buying cheap is not always a bad thing? I have some of the cheapest eyepieces available, yet find nothing wrong with their image qualities, but I  will always try and seek the cheapest authorised dealer.

@F15 Rules & @Bioboybill: I stand corrected on teh £109! :smiley:

Steve,

I fear I have unintentionally provided inaccurate information...I checked the box and mine are the WPII earlier version, not the newer S version. From looking around the web, it seems that the only difference in the S version is a newer improved multicoating process, all other specs seem to be the same as mine. 

I am still delighted with my pair, and to be honest at £106 or so versus the newer £159 version, I doubt I'd pay the difference..

Sorry for any confusion  :smiley:

Dave

I use a pair of Elinor 10x50  . I got them after seeing a good r/v on S@N  and available  under £150  if you shop around

Mark

I use these too Mark,  I find them to be excellent.  One thing is that I believe that the aperture is not truly 50mm more like 48mm or there about but still I really have had lots of milage out of them and others also love them too.  Great bins :) I think mine were £130 ish.  

I'd recommend buying 2nd hand but you've to be careful in terms of condition and collimation.

Mine are 12 x 50 Optolyths and I'd definitely recommend their products, top quality German optics and Ceralin coatings. Mint condition in a leather case for £100 on fleabay.

Some people think they are a bit old fashioned but traditional engineering, design and top build quality never go out of fashion in my view.

• 2 weeks later...

+1 for Pentax, I got a pair of the newer 12x50 for £130 last month, they're good in daylight but fantastic at night. The field of view is a little narrower than some at just over 4 degrees.

Hi

Do you use the 12x50 on a tripod or handheld

Neil

Archived