SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Simple or not so simple choice

EQ5 may not be best if you want the larger scope and plan to image.

Remember, the bigger scopes collect more light, but they're heavier.

Heavier scopes tend to be used less due to moving them around. (Unlike smaller 'grab & go' set ups)

I'd recommend the 150 as it'll show what to expect in a much larger scope when you go down that route.

As the telescope is lighter, it'll allow for more equipment on the EQ5 (although I'd suggest the HEQ5).

Chris

If you're only doing viewing at the start, I'd go for the 200P simply because of the extra light-gathering potential (something like 30% more than the 150) and the ability to split objects better (a close double star that cannot be split in the 150 might easily be achieved in the 200). Then, if you want to go down the photography route, you could buy a smaller (and therefore cheaper) 'scope when that time comes.

A bit of added expense, but as with a lot of things, bigger is better.

Also, buy a collimating cap and Cheshire eyepiece for when the mirrors need aligning, that is something all Newtonian 'scopes require (there are plenty of Yourtube vids and websites around that show you how to collimate, the one by Astro Babe is highly recommended).

+1 for the 150P on EQ5 if you want to do imaging in the future. Best to keep the weight down to 60%'ish of mount capacity. I wouldn't put a 200P on anything less than an EQ6 these days - for either observing or imaging. I got fed up with vibrations and damping a long time ago lol. :)

I started with the 200p and heq5, good intro with enough focal length for planetary and carefully balanced good for some guided deep sky imaging. Not so good on windy nights due to large cross sectional area, but no problems for high speed planetary video. The mount is still performing well with my Oo250 - good investment after 3 years.

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

I'd still go for the 200P on the EQ5 mount for viewing, and then get a smaller scope for astro-photography at a later date if that is still the way you want to go. Be warned however, proper astro cameras cost from a couple of hundred pounds to several thousand pounds....

Also, the stronger the mount, the higher the price. Much higher. The HEQ5 PRO is nearly £550, the NEQ6 £950 and the EQ8 mount and pier costs over £3000.

For the best light gathering for the money, the 200P & EQ5 (or the 200P f6 on a Dobsonian mount). Unless you have a very thick wallet or a friendly bank manager ;)

When I had this dilemma I went for the 200p and it's served me very well.

Like you I started out just viewing but then started imaging.

Maybe it's because I haven't used a heq5 or better mount but I personally have no problems with my eq5 and 200p imaging setup. And that's with a dslr, orion mini 50mm guide scope and QHY5L-II attached..

The vast majority of people on here say the eq5 can only just handle the 200p OTA but I've added more and still get decent (to my skill level) enough results that I'm mostly happy with.

The only time I've really had any problems with it is in high winds which is understandable. I mean come on, the thing is huge.

I would agree with BA on the 200P for visual now then go buy a ZS-71 or one of the Altair small ED's, for imaging in the future.

The EQ5 will take the 200P, although that is towards the comfortable weight limit for an EQ5.

You can image on a 200P, people do, but the downside is that you will or can lose more of the exposures you take. The other possibility is that the exposures just do not come out as good, slight shake in whatever breeze there is. If you can find a club with an imaging section it makes for interesting viewing, you get mounts like an NEQ6 with a small 80mm apo on them.

The one bit I did not see is that the on 200P and the 150P you can attach a DSLR but the focal plane of the scope will not coincide with the DSLR sensor. You need to look at the 150PDS or 200PDS, or you move the mirror up the tube by an inch or two. Unfortunately attaching a DSLR is one thing, attaching a DSLR and having it in the right place is another.

Will say that an EQ5 and a small scope, ED 70-72mm, is a nice start for imaging, and a pleasant way into imaging and many will happily stay there, I have seen some nice images on such a setup. However to advance onwards means changing the mount and the scope.

I've fitted a DSLR to my 200P and got perfect focus, you just leave off the adaptor to bring the camera closer to the 'scope. As far as I'm aware, the DS in 200PDS means double-speed focusing, where you have two knobs on one side of the focusing mechanism, one to get it roughly focused and the other to fine-tune.

Instead of converting mine to a double-speed mechanism, I replaced it with an electric focuser instead for half the price.

Thanks for all of your thoughts folks , ive made two tubes that match the sizes of these two scopes so that i can get an understanding of there size in real terms , one part of me is saying go for the 200p because of the more light gathering./see more aspect , then the other part is saying that the 150p because of its smaller size , The extra 50mm diameter and 250mm length of the 200p is not a vast step up from the 150p, but the smaller tube does look a nice compact unit , so now its aperture verses looks , will this journey ever reach its destination with a purchase ?

My advise would be to not think of this purchase as "visual with the plan to image later". the two are worlds apart. I would start with an 8" dob now for visual and further down the track buy an imaging rig. This way, you have the dob for visual whilst the imaging set-up is doing it's thing (it's pretty boring watching subs pop up on the screen every so often :D).

My credentials for saying this are that I bought an eq5/200p with the plans for visual then imaging later. it'll work, barely, but its a lot of hard work. even the most outspoken of imagers here declaring that the eq5/200 is all you need for dso imaging have eventually stepped up to a better mount and not looked back.

Thanks for all of your thoughts folks , ive made two tubes that match the sizes of these two scopes so that i can get an understanding of there size in real terms , one part of me is saying go for the 200p because of the more light gathering./see more aspect , then the other part is saying that the 150p because of its smaller size , The extra 50mm diameter and 250mm length of the 200p is not a vast step up from the 150p, but the smaller tube does look a nice compact unit , so now its aperture verses looks , will this journey ever reach its destination with a purchase ?

I was exactly where you are now. I went as far as to order a SW200PDS but after handling it for a couple of days, decided to swap it with SW150PDS because easy handling and maneuverability were more important for me than absolute light gathering ability.

One thing I have noticed is that a potential upgrade from the focal length of 750mm (150PDS) to 1000mm (200PDS) affects quite much to the magnification of the eyepieces. Maybe this should be at least considered if starting with a smaller scope and intending to upgrade later.

By the way, when estimating the size of the telescope with dummy tubes (I like your method so much, I have done that earlier for e.g. camera lenses :grin: ), remember that the mirror size is not the same as telescope diameter, for example my SW150PDS has a diameter of 185mm (excluding the focuser, rings etc). By the way, it's length is 690mm and weight 5.5kg.

Thanks for all your feedback everyone , i think its going to be the 150p /eq5 combo from flo, im thinking that portability /storage is a little more important to me than the extra aperture , i appreciate all your thoughts and comments , this is a great forum to seek advice ! Happy Christmas too all☃

Archived