Narrowband

Sumerian travel scopes - feedback please

Hmmm I've been in touch with John Nichol and he's so busy that it would be 3-4 months wait for a mirror :sad:

Helen

Hi Helen

I can guarantee it would be worth putting your plans on hold until he is available.

Having met John on numerous occasions I know a mirror can take a while but a master piece cannot be rushed, especially by someone who puts heart and soul into every one.

I've never used or been in the presence of a sumerian scope but quite a few use them and the thread that scoot posted read favourably.

I like the looks of them and that's what inspired me to build my own version of sorts.

Damian

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sorry I'm not going to discuss that on here.That was between me and Orion Optics

Is that fair to OO, who are not here to defend themselves?

Perhaps you could put both sides of the story and let others judge for themselves?

Can we then assume that the problems were isolated and sorted out quickly and everyone continued happy ever after?  By bringing something like this up, but then not offering any real details seems damaging to sales for OO.  I suspect if they see this thread they may well have something to add to it in order to clear up a few things, which surprisingly remain outstanding. 

Hmmm  I've been in touch with John Nichol and he's so busy that it would be 3-4 months wait for a mirror  :sad:

Helen

Sorry to hear this espc when excited to get a new scope! the wait times here are at least that long for a good mirror, sometimes up to a year, but I believe the wait can be worth the while.I hope you can get your scope soon! :smiley:

No-one here, a guy called Alexander Van Heerden :wink:

http://www.cloudynights.com/topic/519245-sumerian-optics-alkaid-16-review/

I am in discussion with Alex.  He says the mirror is a re-figured GSO PV 1/6 and he has a test report - so I've asked to see the report.

Having re-read that report I wonder why he is selling it given his glowing report?

Helen

That seems quite a coincidence. The mirror in the Canopus I recently sold was a GSO, tested at 1/6th wave PV. As I understand it, the first mirror supplied was rough and gave poor images, so a second, tested one was supplied. I don't think (but may be wrong), that it was returned and refigured. Test certificate attached:

f872637f4f7e927f16f5d33b7d19c288.jpg

Hi 

I have the 16" Alkaid.

The following is prefaced with 'in my opinion', others may differ   ;)

Performance has been as good as any 16 that I have used (probably better, but that was the sky transparency)

It is very compact and the 14 will be much lighter.

Orion Optics (UK) have produced 1000s of mirrors over the years and it will meet the stated specification.  I always keep my scopes in the house to minimise environmental impact and have had no problem with HiLux coatings.

The set up will be more than your current scope...practise in daylight and get collimation by eye sorted and finish off with any collimation tools in the dark.

Buy a complete package.  It will have been tested by Mike as a whole unit.

The choice should be 14 or 12   :)

Good luck!!!!!

Paul

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all the advice guys :smile:  I had another think, based on the views above, and decided against the 16 inch - just too big for me I think.  

While then considering options I noticed the 14 inch OO dob on ABS.  The mirror is ultra grade (1/10 PV) and tested, f4.6, and considerably cheaper than either a new one at that spec or even the price from Sumerian for the 1/6 mirror.  So I bought it, and picked it up today.  It is big, but lovely  :grin:  The scope is in great condition, with lots of lovely touches to make viewing and handling a pleasure.  It doesn't seem right to dismantle it!  So that leaves a dilemma: what to do next!  I need to decide whether to order the sumerian alkaid shell and move the mirror across, or maybe look for other options/builders for a lightweight, but robust travel shell that I can transfer the mirror into just for travelling, and keep the set up as it is for normal viewing. 

Helen

Congrats with the new scope, I'm sure it'll give you some fantastic views. Even if you find a suitable travel housing for its mirror I'm not sure I'd want to keep swapping it over as required, so it is quite a dilemma :)

One of the reasons I went for the Canopus is its secondary mirror is not quite as exposed to dew as the Alkaid's, but despite its better protection, I often use its secondary heater. The solid tube OO you've bought will be better in that regard, but maybe it's something else to consider in whatever you finally choose.

Congratulations Helen! A great scope you have there and if it were me I'd leave that fantastic mirror nestled in it's home and just observe with it :smiley: Transferring such a fine piece of glass might be kind of stressful...for you and the mirror  :grin:

The VX14's are very highly regarded scopes, awesome choice.

Helen, that is a lovely dob you have got your self,

I have seen that very scope at the previous owners house and its a superb scope, i would not be in any rush to set it up as a truss, see if you can manage it as it is, i will drop Shane a TX to see if he is able to do a build for you

Archived