SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Late hello from northern Sweden :)

NorthernLights

Hi,

my bad, I posted asking questions before I actually found this forum, how rude!

Anyway, I'm 27, living with hubby and two cats in northern Sweden. We live in a small city, so star gazing is definitely an option here. I have yet to purchase my first telescope (except the absolutely useless toy one that I had as a kid, and that helped motivate me to not get into the hobby further than reading books about outer space, ugh!).

I study geosciences at university so this, of course, helped spark my interest again. I have also had an interest in photography for years, so I'm looking forward to maybe being able to take some pictures in the future.

Every winter I wish I could see further than my eyes allow me to, and every summer I forget that the stars exist because it never gets dark.

Anyway, hopefully I will soon be able to contribute with something to this forum, but until then, I will just enjoy your expertise ;)

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi and welcome to SGL NL, seems like you have good skies near you! If only they were like that here.

Yeah, they are pretty decent, especially living far away from a decent sized city (never thought I'd see that as an advantage!). It gets foggy a lot though, was out last night to take some pictures with my DSLR and 50mm lens, it looked all clear from where I was, I could see the stars just fine, but once I got to a dark place and started snapping away, I realised most of my images were covered in a very orange cloud. It's often very humid up here, thinking that could have something to do with it.

Welcome to SGL....OK white nights could be a challenge in the summer, but good for solar observing. Winter? You must get some spectacular displays the aurora. Great opps for lots of widefield photography.

True, never put a solar filter on anything so not sure what it's like, but I keep imagining my eyes being burned :p I'd like to try though, definitely plenty of time with 20 hours of sunlight a day...

Sadly I don't live far enough north to get aurora all the time, but yes, more often than most places I reckon! Had this view from my apartment a few weeks ago (sadly I moved, will be missing the view!) [removed word] picture because I was too ill to get out of the apartment  :rolleyes:

12096075_829588580495195_505284525685261

True, never put a solar filter on anything so not sure what it's like, but I keep imagining my eyes being burned :p I'd like to try though, definitely plenty of time with 20 hours of sunlight a day...

...been getting 24 hours of cloud a day for the past few weeks where I live!

Sadly I don't live far enough north to get aurora all the time, but yes, more often than most places I reckon! Had this view from my apartment a few weeks ago (sadly I moved, will be missing the view!) [removed word] picture because I was too ill to get out of the apartment :rolleyes:

12096075_829588580495195_505284525685261

BTW - nice photo.

Hi NorthernLights and welcome to SGL, lovely photo of the Northern Lights, you will see them more often than those of us who reside in a more southerly part of GB, never the less, there has been those very rare occasions in my lifetime, when conditions have been right and we have been treated to those beautiful ever moving curtains of colour. Enjoy the forum :)

Archived