sgl_imaging_challenge_2021_annual.thumb.jpg.3fc34f695a81b16210333189a3162ac7.jpg

Hi All,

I have sky watcher EQ6 mount with laptop, usb 9 pin serial to telescope cable that plugs into hand controller.

I use stellarium to move the telescope and it works so i know port 4 works with the telescope cable.

Im trying to get PHD Guider to connect to the telescope. Ive installed ASCOM software and select celestron driver for controlling the telescope.

When i use PHD software it says can't connect to the telescope, with both hand controller or guider port.

Any ideas one drivers and settings, or what to test.

Ive got the webcam to connect and working.

Anyone please help.

PHD needs to be linked to Ascom, this is done in one of the PHD drop down option.....

Hi,

I did that and the software was scanning the port but said it could not connect. Do you plug the cable into the guider port or hand set? And have you had it working?

Hi again,

What connection do you use? The hand set or autoguide port?

Ive got a Eq5 in the house i can test the connection with out getting cold and wet. Im trying to use the ascom drivers with celestron selected for the sky watcher mount EQ5 and EQ6. Am i using the right driver?

My PHD runs from a USB cable on the guide cam to the PC, thats it, i run EQMod and Pulse Guiding, the only connection from the PC to Mount is the EQDirect lead, software on the PC is Ascom, EQMod and PHD, its been several years since it was setup so what requires clicking ect has faded away.......

My PHD runs from a USB cable on the guide cam to the PC, thats it, i run EQMod and Pulse Guiding, the only connection from the PC to Mount is the EQDirect lead, software on the PC is Ascom, EQMod and PHD, its been several years since it was setup so what requires clicking ect has faded away.......

That's exactly how mines connected.

Hi,

I found the telescope worked when setting the hand set to computer direct mode. The telescope moved when i press the arrows on the on the screen. Hope to try the tracking soon as i get a clear night.

Hi,

Great news, the guiding worked with pulse guiding connected to the hand controller with the pc-direct mode on the hand set. And using EDmod2 on com port 4 or 5.

My next problem is my stars look like moons shapes. I've tried collimated it different ways and still get strange stars.

Its a 10 inch F10 Meade now on rings and dovetail on a EQ6 sky watcher mount. Focus reducer first 0.6, then 2 inch camera adaptor, then the camera.

The left side is in focus and the right side out of focus, it looks like a fish eye lens with bits out of focus.

I collimated it by zooming the live view on my camera and out focus the star. Adjust front screws to get round disc. Refocus and get photos that the star is still off centre.

Am i doing something stupid?

One day i might get an F10 with a great image...lol

Hi

First off, have you got the Focal Reducer/Field Flattener-to-camera chip distance right?

If not the coma in the corners of the image may be worse than without the corrector.

You say the left side of images is in focus, the right side not. This may be due to the imaging train not being square-on, possibly due to flexture under load.

Examine images after rotating only the FR 180 degrees, then the camera only, then both, does the focus problem move or stay where it was?

You'd think that collimating with the actual imaging train would be a good thing, but maybe the LiveView image isn't telling the whole story.

Try taking an image with focus slightly out, do you get a round, or offset, Airy disc on the stars?

Might also be primary mirror slop when you refocus.

Michael

• Like 1