Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Old atik cameras

matt-c

Hi everyone

Can anyone suggest anywhere I can get an old atik mono camera from? I'm thinking like the hr or 16 I'm not too familiar with the variants.

USB 1.0 cooled version.

I've been scouring astrobuy and eBay for about a year now and to no avail, it appears they are rarer than hens teeth.

Is there anywhere still stocking golden oldies?

I can only recall three that I've seen for sale in years, one of which is now in my possession.  A "wanted" in the classifieds here might help though you'll need to do a bit more posting before you can do that.  Perhaps it might be worth looking in the other UK astro-imaging forums too?

James

Thanks guys i'll get posting and browse some other sites. 

I shouldn't be so hell bent on getting one but horses for courses i guess  :grin:

Your right about that Olly the only people interested are terrible attempts at taking my pennies.

What's so special about them?

I have one bought from here and have yet to use it due to work and family commitments. But planning to in my upcoming extended Xmas break.

there's nothing really special about them, they're just a good camera and can now be had at a reasonable price when they come up. same chip as the 314L+ although the cooling is not setpoint (its either full on or off). not really a problem. I had a lend of one once and found it to be excellent

edit. just to be clear I'm speaking of the 16HR Mono

there's nothing really special about them, they're just a good camera and can now be had at a reasonable price when they come up. same chip as the 314L+ although the cooling is not setpoint (its either full on or off). not really a problem. I had a lend of one once and found it to be excellent

edit. just to be clear I'm speaking of the 16HR Mono

Thanks,

It's the mono one I have and which I hope to put to use very soon now that work is out of the way, now it's just the family and weather I need to co-operate.

• 5 weeks later...

The old atik cameras like the 16HR mono, 16ic and 16ics-s mono had very clean chips, very little noise and uber sensitive.

I recently bagged an Atik 16IC - S mono camera, slight different then its predecessor the 16IC, the S version has a slightly bigger fov 782 x 582 with pixel size 8.3 microns. Cooling down to -20c.

Al.

I should have probably updated this, but I managed to buy a 16hr from opticalpath!!.

I was going to go with the 16ic or one of the variants but I couldn't find anything but good reviews about the 16hr and thought I'd regret it if I didn't grab it.

Added to that a 7nm Ha filter and a shed obsy I seem to have caused constant rain.....sorry guys.

I should have probably updated this, but I managed to buy a 16hr from opticalpath!!.

I was going to go with the 16ic or one of the variants but I couldn't find anything but good reviews about the 16hr and thought I'd regret it if I didn't grab it.

Added to that a 7nm Ha filter and a shed obsy I seem to have caused constant rain.....sorry guys.

It's my fault as well. It's falling as rain rather than snow because Monique and I bought a four wheel drive this year. Hehheh.

Olly

I think your going to be very happy with this. I  also think it's a good choice to start with a ha filter. you'll get very good results from a single nights work. best of luck matt

I think your going to be very happy with this. I also think it's a good choice to start with a ha filter. you'll get very good results from a single nights work. best of luck matt

Thanks mate I can't wait to get out and give it a try..... But this rain!!!

The latest version of this camera brings a little more convenience (faster downloads) but its set point cooling is no big deal on this chip and the difference to the final image will be a close approximation of zero.

Olly

Yeah i was toying with the newer version but after reading what you and Rob(?) have wrote I decided a set of filters was better than USB 2....

Only time will tell :p

Either way it's predecessor was a 1000d so it can only be an improvement.

Archived